FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genlocking A Consumer Camera

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Beauregard
Genlocking A Consumer Camera
on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:06:16 pm

I work for an NBC affiliate in Montana and with the economy the way it is we need to cut corners and save money. We have a small crane that I would like to implement in our news cast but our cameras are too big for the crane. One of our photogs has a consumer camera that he uses on it but there is no genlock so we can't sync it with the board. Is there any solution to this problem that isn't going to cost me a fortune. I appreciate any help.
Justin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Genlocking A Consumer Camera
on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:23:15 pm

I am amazed that your broadcast station does not know the answer to this. Every broadcaster for the last 30 years has had to deal with satellite downlink feeds. How on earth do you "genlock" a satellite signal - a FRAME SYNCHRONIZER. I cannot believe that your station does not get satellite feeds from NBC network that currently do not go into a frame synchronizer, so they can be fed thruout your facility.

Take the composite output of your camera, and go into one of the frame sync's you currently own, and it will work just fine - just like your satellite feeds. See - now, you don't need to spend any money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:01:37 am

Bob -
It might be safe to assume that the frame synch for the net feed is part of a closed delivery system, rather than a standalone FS. Depending on the age and past budget of the station, they may only have TBCs for their VTRs and no standalone frame synchs. (Some really small market facilities are still living on 80s technology.)

Justin -
If this is the case, you may still be able to do this. Any chance the TBCs are also frame synchs and can take a composite input? Otherwise, maybe the DVE can take a nonsynch input (some did and some didn't, as I recall). Otherwise, I would think Comprehensive or some other such company would have really inexpensive frame synchs for sale.

Return to posts index

Justin Beauregard
on Dec 18, 2008 at 8:34:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah we are running on some seriously old equipment. We have one TBC that is in use and I don't think it will work with the composite. I may be able to get a composite to BNC converter and hopefully that might work. I have never heared of Comprehensive but I am going to check them out right now.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2008 at 10:11:41 pm

the Datavideo is the cheapest frame sync on the market (about $300).
How can an NBC affiliate have no money. I see the trade magazines, and see pictures of all these multi million dollar stations in these magazines. What is going on here ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Justin Beauregard
on Dec 19, 2008 at 12:05:05 am

We are based out of Kalsipell & our station shares this market with our mother station in Missoula. Our market size is 166 so if you do the math that means that there is very little to go a long ways. We don't even get overtime anymore. I appreciate the suggestion and will check into it.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Dec 20, 2008 at 6:05:57 am

Justin--

Do you do live shots for news? If so, I'd say you have an extra frame sync in addition to the one for the NBC net feed that is hard-wired...unless that one is also hardwired. If that's the case, re-wire it to where it is on the routing switcher..unless you don't have one, and if so, wire it into one of the video patch bay (if you have those ;)

Bob--

You wouldn't assume that since a station puts satellite feeds on air, that they would have a frame sync to go with it? :) I've seen a few that don't even genlock their sources, no matter what they are. We're talking affiliates, not independents!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]