FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comparing JVC, Sony & Panasonic monitors

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Franciosa
Comparing JVC, Sony & Panasonic monitors
on Dec 10, 2008 at 12:14:58 am

I comparing the Sony LMD2050W, JVC DT-V20L1DU and the Panasonic BT-LH1700W. Besides size, any reason I might want to go with on as opposed to another. I am using it for editing with Final Cut pro on a Mac laptop. Also, what's the best way to connect the laptop to the television?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Comparing JVC, Sony & Panasonic monitors
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:21:34 am

Stephen writes -
I comparing the Sony LMD2050W, JVC DT-V20L1DU and the Panasonic BT-LH1700W. Besides size, any reason I might want to go with on as opposed to another.

REPLY - yes. None of these monitors are as good as anything from CineTal, eCinema or TV Logic, so lets get that out of the way. But for the money, either the JVC or Panasonic are your two best choices. I suggest that you look at both of them. Let me tell you a quick Sony 2050 story. My client (the cable provider) bought a 2050 against my advice. They then called me to complain about the AJA Kona LHe card, that it was making their graphics look terrible. I extended the cable going to the LMD2050 to an old Sony PVM20L5/1 that they owned, and "the problem" was mysteriously gone. I have no idea of why Sony sells LCD monitors - they haven't a clue.

I am using it for editing with Final Cut pro on a Mac laptop. Also, what's the best way to connect the laptop to the television?

REPLY - easy. AJA Kona I/O HD, Matrox MXO2 or Matrox MXO. "But isn't there some way to get the DVI port from the MAC laptop into the $3000 TV monitor without buying one of these boxes" - NO !

You don't like this answer - buy a Panasonic TH42 or TH50 plasma TV with a DVI input.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Archie Cruz
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:32:28 am

So interesting that these issues keep cropping up. I'm trying hard to demystify this diagrammatically. Just ignore my 'placeholder' camera, a consumer job with HDMI out. How does the rest of the set-up look to your eye?

Return to posts index

Archie Cruz
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:37:11 am

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 18, 2008 at 10:18:18 pm

do you mean "does it look good to your eye". Plenty of things look "good enough". But if everything is "good enough", then the professional market disappears. The only thing that PROFESSIONALS do is to do things BETTER than the masses.

If I scratch my car, I can go get touch up paint, and hide the scratch. If I go to a PROFESSIONAL body shop, they will sand down the bumper, repaint it multiple times, and put on clear coat. This is PROFESSIONAL work. Now, I can use touch up paint for Wal Mart for $3.00, and it might be "good enough" for me, but it is NOT A PROFESSIONAL PAINT JOB.

If we produce PROFESSIONAL VIDEO, it can't just be "ok", and "good enough" - otherwise, NONE OF US can earn any money. Same with the auto body paint shop. They can't say "we used Wal Mart touch up paint, just give us $5.00, and have a nice day". We all live in the real world, where PROFESSIONALs make society run.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Archie Cruz
on Dec 19, 2008 at 3:12:03 am

Bob. Don't kill me- I tried but failed to upload or link to a diagram that I wished to share with you (hence the ...looks to your eye reference) . Please MOD. remove my posts immediately prior to Bob's. Can someone help me upload/link images in this UI? Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]