FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI Reference Source

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Kalb
SDI Reference Source
on Dec 3, 2008 at 7:27:00 pm

Quick question for anyone familiar with broadcast systems design for SDI video. I'm setting up a small SDI studio with SDI cameras, CG, switcher, etc. Do I need a SDI sync generator or can I use my older analog black burst generator for master sync? Wasn't sure if the SDI gear commonly will accept analog black. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SDI Reference Source
on Dec 3, 2008 at 10:29:30 pm

yes, your antique black generator will work, provided you are recording onto a NTSC SDI recorder (like a Digi Beta VTR, operating at 29.97). If you plan on working with HD-SDI cameras, and locking everything to 23.98, and a HD VTR that records at 23.98 (like the HDW-M2000), you will need a tri level sync generator.

I am amazed that you have the money for new SDI cameras, new SDI switcher, SDI everything, and you are worried about a $340 black generator !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:11:41 pm

It may not be his fault, Bob: one of the crazy things about some accounting and procurement systems is there are some items too inexpensive to buy.

What I mean is, some vendors have a minimum order amount you have to meet before they will bother with all the payment paperwork, when you're a government account or a charitable organization or something other than a national network accounting office. They are used to big orders from big companies and if you want one little machine part, for example, it may not be worth their time. It is irresponsible to order the bigger, more expensive stuff if you don't really need it. Or it could be something really specific like a replacement pinch roller or video head... So you may have kill a few months to scrounge up enough other little worn-out items you need to replace, and which are also offered by the company, just to make an order up to that supplier's minimum amount, before you can get it filled.

We had this problem with one supplier for years, and because of it we could only get a certain replacement part ordered about once a year, after saving up enough other orders to be "worthy". So if that unit with the worn part went down it could STAY down most of a year because the part was too cheap to buy. Unless you personally went and bought it out-of-pocket for cash, then tried to get reimbursed for it. Which I don't recommend.

How this still goes on in this modern economy, I don't know: you'd think a supplier would do anything in the world to satisfy a repeat customer these days, no matter how small, just to keep their business. But that's not always the case.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Dec 5, 2008 at 3:31:25 pm

Also think in terms of some Corporate executives. I had to purchase a toothbrush myself once to be able to clean projectors because the President of the company had a saying, "I don't write checks for less than $100,000." He also kept saying you are nickel and dimeing me toward bankruptcy.
Hard to figure some corporations and management people.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Las Vegas, Nevada
Charlie@proking.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]