FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looks bad on-air

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dolps fernando
Looks bad on-air
on Nov 27, 2008 at 3:37:21 am

Hi guys!

Just want to a'sk about our problem regarding our output in our post house. When we present in our editing suite with a calibrated broadcast monitor, everything looks good but once we aired it it looks bad. The picture isn't that sharp and looks like there're some gen-loss already and a bit of a gamma shift. I've tried to ingest our dubbed betacam release tapes and I've noticed that the picture looks different. I also tried to ingest tapes from other post houses and their dub material looks good. We are running G5 with aja kona2 cards and is directly connected to PVW-2800 deck.I'm guessing that there're something wrong or we need to adjust in our betacam deck when we dub our release materials. Somebody told us that we need to change the settings of the built-in TBC of the betacam(which is set to "preset" before)but the problem is that we don't know how to set it right. I'm not sure if the TBC will fix the problem or maybe some other component that we need to add in our set-up(eg, Distribution amplifiers).

Because of this, some clients had the impression that our release was bad because we use FCP unlike from other big post which uses FLAME, which I totally disagree. I hope you could help us to correct our set-up, I hope there is something that would correct/check the integrity of the signal coming from our machine.

Cheers!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Looks bad on-air
on Nov 27, 2008 at 3:31:17 pm

I will respond to your post below, but you will not like my answers. The bottom line is that no one can teach you video engineering on a user forum.

replies below -

you write -
When we present in our editing suite with a calibrated broadcast monitor, everything looks good but once we aired it it looks bad.
The picture isn't that sharp and looks like there're some gen-loss already and a bit of a gamma shift.

REPLY - from just this one statement, this may not be your issue. Many local cable providers have HORRIBLE EQUIPMENT, and their old gear will degrade your signal. Years ago, I did a job for a local cable access station. When things still looked horrible, out of frustration, I boldly took a Tektronix color bar generator and stuck it right into the head end feed, bypassing ALL THE EQUIPMENT at the station, and the perfect Tektronix bar generator looked HORRIBLE on the on-air TV feed. So it was the cable TV provider that was "screwing" this station.

you write -
I've tried to ingest our dubbed betacam release tapes and I've noticed that the picture looks different.

REPLY - looks different ? Without a waveform monitor and a vectorscope, no one can tell what the differences are. These problems cannot be isolated by the human eye. You want to know exactly what is going on - if your VTR's need to be calibrated, if there are encoder setup issues - you need SCOPES. And if there are errors, these are not adjustments you will make - they are done by a trained Sony tech on Beta VTRS.

you write -
I also tried to ingest tapes from other post houses and their dub material looks good. We are running G5 with aja kona2 cards and is directly connected to PVW-2800 deck.

REPLY - this cannot be correct. The AJA Kona 2 does not have analog inputs. The Sony PVW-2800 has analog composite and component outputs, so you MUST be going thru some sort of A/D converter to get a PVW-2800 into an AJA Kona 2, that only has SDI inputs.

YOU WRITE -
I'm guessing that there're something wrong or we need to adjust in our betacam deck when we dub our release materials. Somebody told us that we need to change the settings of the built-in TBC of the betacam(which is set to "preset" before)but the problem is that we don't know how to set it right.

REPLY - How on earth you are releasing tapes for broadcast without having a set of scopes is beyond me. You absolutely need a waveform monitor and a vectorscope (and some training on how to use them) to get tapes on air for broadcast. And yes, you need to use the TBC adjustments when making dubs between VTR's. NO ONE can show you how to use a scope or read a scope on a user forum. You can see examples of what scope displays look like on internet sites from Tektronix and Leader Instruments, but without some sort of training, you will just be confused.

you write -
I'm not sure if the TBC will fix the problem or maybe some other component that we need to add in our set-up(eg, Distribution amplifiers).

REPLY - you know what - neither do I. You need someone who is experienced to come to your facility, and diagnose what your problems are. You need a waveform monitor and vectorscope to even see what your problems are. Do you need TBC's, do you need DA's - maybe - no one can diagnose these problems from just correspondence on a user forum like this.

you write -
Because of this, some clients had the impression that our release was bad because we use FCP unlike from other big post which uses FLAME, which I totally disagree. I hope you could help us to correct our set-up, I hope there is something that would correct/check the integrity of the signal coming from our machine.

REPLY -
your clients should be angry with you. You have fine equipment, and there is nothing wrong with a PVW-2800, and there is nothing wrong with an AJA Kona 2. But your competitors with the FLAME probably has more equipment, and more trained personel to see what is going on with their system. You or your boss is going to have to SPEND SOME MONEY - to either bring in someone to help you, or to train you on what to do, and diagnose this problem. You also need TEST EQUIPMENT (which will cost thousands of dollars, not a $100 software plug in) to measure your levels, so you can CHECK YOUR TAPES for every broadcast release.

You are in the BROADCAST VIDEO BUSINESS, not the wedding video business. This costs money, and requires education and training. I am sure that you can do it, if you are trained properly, and have the right equipment to do this job.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]