FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small production studio

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Aufderheide
Small production studio
on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:04:10 pm

Hello,

We are looking to create a small studio. I am looking into the video side of it where our budget is around $25,000 for everything except the server. We want to shoot with 3 cameras in HD, mix the feed, add an overlay, and then split the mix to a live feed and a server.

I assume that it would be best to get cameras with SDI out.
I am not sure what codec we should use in order to save the mixed video. Should we get a converter after the mix and save it into HDV so as to save space. We are going to want to shoot quite a few events.

I am interested in all thoughts, especially on the cameras, the switcher and the codecs.

Thank you,

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Small production studio
on Nov 23, 2008 at 11:55:17 pm

ok - so you want to buy 3 HD cameras with HD-SDI out, tripods, pan heads, viewfinders, intercom to the 3 cameramen, an HD switcher with HD-SDI inputs, an audio mixer, microphones, monitors (program, preview, and the 3 HD cameras - unless you use the Panasonic HVS-400 that has a "monitor wall display built in) - and you want this all for under $25,000 ? Oh, and all the audio and video cabling for this, and the installation as well ?

When you get the answer to this question, you let me know.

I am sure that someone will recommend the Tri Caster, but with all the other stuff you need ?

bobZelin

Return to posts index

John Aufderheide
on Nov 24, 2008 at 2:00:35 am

Thank you, Bob, for your response, your question and your understandable skepticism. Obviously I did not give you enough info.

We already have the audio equipment with the cabling, the mics, and the mixer. We also have an intercom system. Because of the nature of our show - the cameras don't need to move - it is very stationery - I am thinking to go cheap with the tripods and to use the lcds on the cameras for viewing.

I have thought about the tricaster and am also looking into the panasonic av-hs300g switcher. I like the tricaster, but I am thinking that the panasonic would be more bullet proof and i don't know if that is true. I would also need some sort of CG for the panasonic.

That is why for me the three big questions are cameras, switcher and the HD codec.

Have i answered your question?

John

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 25, 2008 at 7:51:04 pm

The AV-HD300G is a great small solution, but the right product is now the new Panasonic AV-HS400A. This product uses one single output to create a "video wall" for monitoring, so you don't need a zillion monitors to see Cam 1, Cam 2, and CAM 3, plus program and preview. Plus, it's instantly switchable for SD/HD and has lots of option cards. These option cards include a DVI input card, so you can use a laptop to create graphics, and it will instantly frame sync this input to your cameras. I have a client that is using a MAC Pro and a Blackmagic Decklink Card ($295) to create the video fill and key signal to "simulate" a character generator with the AV-HS400A, and the quality is teriffic. But again - more inputs.

SO, is this switcher the right solution - yes it is. And the AV-HD300G is very good too (I used the AV-HD300G for the Disney Wedding Pavillion in Orlando, where it functions without flaw to this day) - but once you spend the money for the AV-HS400A and any "cheap" plasma display - how much money will you have left for the cameras.
3 Cameras - especially ones with SDI or HD-SDI outputs are EXPENSIVE, and you need three.

I dont' know how you are going to accomplish this with your budget.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Francesco Alessi
on May 23, 2012 at 2:14:56 am

Hey Bob... that's interesting.

We just bought a 400 and I was wondering how we were going to do the CG. We actually have an extra MacPro (non-intel version), would that work? What software do we need to make the Key/Fill happen?

I can't wait for the 400, it looks sweet.

iMac i7 27", AG-HMC-150, Final Cut Studio, Lightwave 9, Adobe Creative Suite Design 5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]