FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Monitor

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Hoogendoorn
Broadcast Monitor
on Nov 21, 2008 at 9:38:20 pm

Hi,
I got a very cheap sony broaadcast monitor, but I got no idea how to connect it to my computer..

this is the backside (sorry for the bad photo):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10752691@N06/3048159357/sizes/l/

you guys got any idea?

regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Broadcast Monitor
on Nov 22, 2008 at 5:59:03 am

well, errr ... what kind of I/O connections do you have on it? do you have any third party I/O device?

Return to posts index

Johan Hoogendoorn
on Nov 22, 2008 at 7:00:35 am

Hi Andy,
thanks for your reply
although the photo is unsharp, this http://www.flickr.com/photos/10752691@N06/3048159357/sizes/l/ should give an idea of the I/O on it
I do not have any third party I/O device
(I do have an sony HVR 1ve camcorder; it has analog output via component and composite)
Jochem

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Nov 22, 2008 at 9:39:33 am

you could use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro and use component/composite to go into the monitor.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 22, 2008 at 10:57:00 am

Sorry Jochem,
My fault. My post was hopelessly vague! What I meant by "what connections do you have on it" was "what connections do you have on your computer" ... obviously if you don't have the appropriate outputs on your computer (usually via an installed third party I/O interface) then you can't simply plug in a production monitor. The photo shows what connectors the monitor expects (BNC) but not what formats those connectors are for ... is it Analog Composite, or Digital SDI or ... ? so telling us what the model number of this particular monitor would help too. It would also help a tad if you told us what computer you;re using as recommendations for an I/O card or device is sometimes computer or platform specific. Remember, we're not there with you :-) Details are everything.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Nov 22, 2008 at 4:44:32 pm

I used to have a Sony monitor similar to this model (can't remember the model number). The inputs are analog composite. If you don't have a I/O card on you computer you could always pass firewire through your camera to the the composite video out on the camera, you'll need an RCA to BNC adapter and you should be good to go. If you don't want your camera tied to your edit station full time you could purchase a converter. http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/ADVC110/index.php
Or as buy an I/O card for your computer that supports composite out. That said, I wouldn't spend any additional money trying to integrate old technology.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2008 at 5:40:08 pm

you wasted your money. This is a VERY VERY old Sony CRT monitor that did not even support standard Sony Y R-Y B-Y (Y Pb Pr) analog component standards - so this monitor is probably over 20 years old, and it's CRT is probably soft. If you don't need professional I/O to connect to a VTR (like a HD VTR, or even a beta VTR), just cut your losses, and throw out the monitor. A cheap LCD monitor will support your needs for modern workflow, much better than this old RGB dog from Sony.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Johan Hoogendoorn
on Nov 22, 2008 at 9:14:40 pm

haha, allright!
that's what I all a clear advise Bob

I will see if I get it running via the camcorder and such a little converter (saw the for a few euro), then I throw it out probably

it's too big anyway

thanks, all,

Jochem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]