FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Shading Training

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake ABramson
Camera Shading Training
on Nov 20, 2008 at 11:01:34 pm

We recently got some new Sony DXC-D55 Studio cameras. I have experience doing basic color shading on cameras and setting up my scopes. These cameras have many more options and tweaks available than I've ever worked with before. Obviously I want them to look as good as possible.

Are there any types of training manuals out there or people who train on these types of things. All the training I've gotten in the past has been by people showing me how to do it and on the fly. I know how to get my RGBs set along with my Pedestals, but areas like Gamma, Flare and the such are foreign. Even if I knew what exactly to look for when I'm adjusting those would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Thuente
Re: Camera Shading Training
on Nov 28, 2008 at 2:53:14 pm

Jake,

A very valuable resource for learning/upgrading your camera shading skills is finding a local freelance or staff video control operator.
These guys are making a living at shading cameras, and most would probably be willing to answer your questions, and possibly let you sit in sometime when they are setting up their cameras.

-Greg

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Nov 28, 2008 at 6:22:40 pm

I took a class on a live production switcher/scaler called the Encore (and a prelim class, the ScreenPro) at Barco in Folsom, CA. My experience with those classes taught me a lot about video engineering, and opened the door for getting more video gigs.

Taking classes is your best option to get hands on training. Most of these classes cost a lot, and the staff may not have a lot of show experience, but getting on the gear is the key.

I don't know too many engineers who would allow someone else just off the street to get hands on while setting up a show (iow, freelancer), so finding a kindred spirit video engineer could be pretty tough. Finding a VE who would take someone under their wing with little or no experience probably won't happpen. So, while you're waiting for your contact to pan out, try taking classes.

Finally, you may find a rental company in town who would be willing to allow you to work on the gear to troubleshoot or test gear coming in or going out. Again, they would prefer experience, but you might be able to apprentice in that type of environment more than at a show site.

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Dec 1, 2008 at 5:40:30 pm

Just a note...

Eric at Barco has extensive show experience. He was also the teacher of the classes I took. I highly recommend Barco, and Eric, as someone to teach a class in video engineering, switching, and projection.

I just didn't want to give the impression that my personal classes had a teacher with little show experience. However, some of the schools I've visited in my area have people with little show experience.

Word to the wise -- ask questions about your school before you take classes and spend big money.

http://www.inside-vegas.com

TJ McCormick
Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]