FORUMS: list search recent posts

closed captioning for MAC

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geo Monterosa
closed captioning for MAC
on Nov 18, 2008 at 6:23:45 am

I need recomendations for software to do closed captioning for broadcasting, for a mac. Thanks.

Geo

Return to posts index

David Peralta
Re: closed captioning for MAC
on Nov 23, 2008 at 2:57:06 pm

We use Maccaption at our facility. Software is easy to learn and doesnt take long to export an entire show. Only thing is if you're capioning entire shows is Transcribing the show word for word,which is the longest part of the captioning workflow.

hmm... I wonder what this button does...

Return to posts index

Alice Swartz
Court reporting required first?
on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:57:59 am

Hey, Mr. Peralta, I am trying to find info on becoming a closed caption writer, but my internet search is confusing me. I called the local court reporter school, DACR, who insist that court reporter training is required for anyone who wants to do closed captioning. I am sure that's true for real-time captioning, but I can't imagine why it would be necessary for subtitling features or captioning, say, sitcoms. Aren't such captions done in straight English? If not, why not? Seems to me it would make more sense than using a steno program. Then again, I'm on the outside looking in. That's why I'm trying to get the truth from an expert who has no agenda (i.e., isn't trying to sell me something).

I am a Mac user, an excellent speller, a freak about accuracy, I love TV and movies, and I hate driving. I could be deluded, but I'm thinking word-for-word transcription using MacCaption at home would be a dream job for me! When you refer to it as "word-for word", I'm assuming you mean straight English, not CR-type steno. If you could, please enlighten me as to whether or not court reporter training -- at 2.5 years and $26,500 tuition, by the way! -- is definitely required to do the work I want to do.

If it isn't, then can you point me toward the kind of training I do need to work at home on my iMac? Are there any websites or companies you can recommend I look into? Whatever info or insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

~~ Alice in Colorado

Return to posts index

David Peralta
Re: Court reporting required first?
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:59:49 am

To use maccaption? No formal education is necessary. we just have one of our interns transcribe the show word for word, then throw that txt file into maccaption, set the timecode then export before we print to tape.

hmm... I wonder what this button does...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]