FORUMS: list search recent posts

best framerate for animation

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
best framerate for animation
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:18:46 pm

Hi,

I will be mastering a show for North American broadcast. The initial broadcast is NTSC.

A Hi Def version at 720 will be produced as well for the library.

There may eventually be a conversion to 25 for Europe. This is only hypothetical for now.

The animators (using flash) are asking what frame rate to animate at. They have done a test at 29.97 and at 24. when output at 29.97 the 24 material exhibits a slight stutter. It's the pulldown I know. It's not the end of the world but you can see it.

I understand that the material will convert to 25 better if animated in 24. But the pulldown is less nice in NTSC.

Does anyone have an approach to this situation that they use? Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

jason.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: best framerate for animation
on Nov 13, 2008 at 3:07:37 pm

The best framerate for multi-format mastering is 23.98p. Since the project is going to 3 formats that would probably be best for your project. Master at 1280x720 23.98p and everything else is downconverted. The better standards converter you have the better the pulldown result will be (ie Snell & Wilcox or Teranex).

If at some time in the future you'll be distributing on Blu-Ray you might want to master at 1920x1080 23.98p and downconvert to the three formats. Your DVDs can be clones of your masters.

HTH

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]