FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need LCD Monitor Help

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Zapotocky
Need LCD Monitor Help
on Nov 7, 2008 at 4:03:11 pm

Hello all,

We've setup an editing suite and the final element needed is a flatscreen tv/monitor for the client and/or future clients to view their production.

Can anyone recommend the type of tv/monitor to use for client viewing?

They will be sitting about 10-12 feet from the monitor and it will be mounted on the wall about 5-6 feet above the floor.

We have do some HD, but most of the work for our clients is SD.

I've seen alot of LCD monitors that are "soft & pixely" and I am looking at trying to eliminate that. It seems as though my good 'ole CRT displays a cleaner picture when it comes to SD.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post, but it seemed like this would be the best place.

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Nikolas Clarke
Re: Need LCD Monitor Help
on Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48:26 pm

Hi Larry; hope this finds you well.

LCD TVs can be tricky that way; not displaying SD content the way an old CRT can; lets face it, the whole IDEA of an HDTV is to play HD content :) But all is not lost. Really, it boils down to a number of things a) what kind of output is availble from the edit suite, and b) how much you are willing to spend.

Right now, in my personal opinion, Sharp, Samsung and Sony are putting out the best looking CONSUMER LCD TVs, consumer of course being TVs that you can pick-up at your local electronics supplier.

However, on the professional end of things, look no further then Panasonic. Panasonic's 26'' BT-LH2600W is a marvelous picture in both SD and HD. It uses HDSDI and SDI inputs, as well as analogue composit and component inputs. The 26" version costs around $5,000, and the 17" version only about $500 less. You can also take a look at there line of professional Plasma screens.

Hope this is found to be somewhat helpful. All the best in your search!

Nikolas
Television Engineering Technologist, Ontario Canada

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Nov 8, 2008 at 3:47:57 am

Hi Nikolas,

As far as price range I have a budget of up to $2500 to spend. The NLE has HDMI, component, y/c and composite output. What is your opinion between plasma and LCD?

Thanks for your input!

Larry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 7, 2008 at 11:50:28 pm

so you do you need a monitor for your clients 12' away, or do you need a monitor for you for critical editing. I have many opinions about a critical monitor for you, but if you want a big mama plasma to make your clients go WOW, there is only one that I can recommend -

Panasonic TH-50PH11UK

under $1300 for a 50" incredible plasma. But this is not a critical edit monitor.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Nov 8, 2008 at 3:43:54 am

Bob,

I need a monitor for my clients to go "wow!"

I will definitely check that on out. Is there a difference picture quality and/or longevity between an LCD or a Plasma?

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Nov 8, 2008 at 8:18:15 pm

Plasma is definitely the way to go for client monitors. Gives a nice black level and plenty of "wow". The 50" Panasonic is a great option for client monitors.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Nov 9, 2008 at 3:26:56 pm

Thanks for the input Bryan. I did some research on the Panasonic model and that is the one I'm going to go with.

I have on more question about size? Do you think 50" is too big? The clients will be sitting approximately 10 to 12 feet away. I don't want to make them feel like they are in the first row of a movie theater.

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]