FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you record video from a camera with no VTR? (Sony DXC-325)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Applegate
How do you record video from a camera with no VTR? (Sony DXC-325)
on Oct 28, 2008 at 12:42:02 am

I am starting a broadcasting class at my school. The class only has 2 old Sony DXC-325's. I have never used a camera that doesnt have a VTR deck built in and I am a bit confused with how recording video with these cameras works? I mean, the cameras are just cameras, thats it. There are no tapes, no hard drive, just outputs (such as BNC, S-Video, BUT NO FIREWIRE!?!?!).

If one were to shoot with one of these cameras how would the footage get saved? I was thinking it might go through some sort of analog to digital conversion and then onto a computer?

Anyways, any information would be amazing!

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: How do you record video from a camera with no VTR? (Sony DXC-325)
on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:55:14 pm

In STUDIO situations, the cameras are fed to the control room and the signal is recorded to a VCR.

On REMOTE/LOCATION situations, the camera is fed to a portable VCR carried along with the camera and a tape is recorded in the VCR.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 28, 2008 at 5:49:24 pm

Your idea of the Analog to Digital converter will work. Just find a suitable converter box (there are many out there) and feed the S-Video from your camera into the box and then into a suitable computer for capture via Firewire. If you want audio as well, use a mixer to feed your audio into the audio input on the converter. Make sure that you provide the proper levels (mic or line) to the box or the sound will be either too low or badly distorted. You will need some software on the computer to capture and edit the material. Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere would work well for this. The DXC-325 is a pretty old camera, but if it's working properly, it should make a good picture for you. Otherwise, pick up a cheap or even used Mini DV camera. It would save you a lot of trouble in the long run.
Tom

Return to posts index

Mark Applegate
on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:48:26 am

Thank you Matte and Tom, I think what I will end up doing is going through a converter to FCP, and I will also run another record out to a VCR.

I actually have 2 more questions now that I have read your responses.

1.If recording only to a VCR then dont you have to get it digital? If you went to a VCR and then to computer arent you losing a lot of quality?

2.Also, the switcher only has BNC connections, so when I record out to the converter then it will be from a BNC to Composite(on the converter). I have read that BNC/Composite is fairly low quality, will it be acceptable for a high school broadcasting class?

Thanks guys... I truly appreciate it,
Mark

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 31, 2008 at 10:28:45 pm

The DXC-325 camera should have an "S-Video" output on it. Use this signal to go to your A to D converter for higher quality than composite video. It should be plenty good enough for what you will use it for. If you have the studio back on the camera, you could also go out of the 14-pin connector as RGB with a suitable breakout cable onto a better converter or card that will accept RGB signals. This would be even higher quality than the S-Video. Then use your composite output to go to your VTR. If you have a better vtr that accepts S-video, you can feed the S-video output from the camera, into an S-Video distribution amp anf then into both the converter and your vcr. It all depends on what you have to work with.
Tom

Return to posts index

Dan Keeton
on Jan 7, 2011 at 5:36:04 pm

Hi Tom

The 325 does not have an s-video output, only a composite through a BNC connector. The back of the camera has a 50 pin connector which I connected to a break out box with the help of the schematics. I connected 4-pin s-video connector, which is simply two different signals, (video and color) and a rca composite connector.

I later took the camera apart and mounted a rca in place of the bnc connector and put an s-video in place of the title connector next to it.

Recording is another hurdle. I am still searching for the best option. I have tried mini camcorders that record thru a composite video input. I am going to internet video only though. It works for me. But other, better options are still on my, "Hit List".

Good luck
Dan

Return to posts index

Massimiliano Gabrielli
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:18:38 am

Hello, I have a sony DXC-325 (NTSC) with CA-325 and no viewfinder and I'm not able to get it working.
The power came from an external power supply and there is no CCU or other connected to the CCU connector on the back.
The CA-325 selector is in VBS and VCR mode selector is 4 (I also tried 3)

First I connected a pc with framegrabber (that works with a standard NTSC camera) to the video-out BNC of the DXC and than to the video output of the 14pin connector of the ca-325, but it seems there is no signals (with a probe I see what it seems a video signal only during power-up and only for a tenth of second).

Connecting the framegrabber to viewfinder connector I cen see a quarter of the image (different sync speed???) and it appears the config menu. When I press DISP-CHG and the menu exit the image became few black lines.
I obtained same experience connecting an NTSC camera video output to sync input BNC of the CA-325 and to video return pins of the CA-325 14pin connector.

Providing 5v to 14pin connector pin n.12 (vcr recording) and pressing VTR start key button on the camera, pin n.13 goes on and off correctly.
It seems all is working, but the image is disabled.

Do you have any ideas?
What I'm doing wrong ?
Needs I to remove CA-325 and use direcly 50 pin connector on the back of dxc-325 ?
In which way are you using your DXC ?
Best Regards
Massimiliano

Return to posts index

James Engelmann
on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:02:59 pm

I know this thread is a bit old, but maybe not too late to revive it. Dan, do you have a schematic for the Sony 50-pin DIN on the DXC-325 or do you know if it's posted somewhere (short of hunting down and buying an old service manual of course)?

I'm curious if there's an easy way to get S-Video off of the camera head and if it's worth it to rig my own adapter. Right now, I'm recording from the DXC-325 on Hi8 tape or running the composite video signal from the camera head straight to a SD-DV converter and then recording DV on my laptop. Do you know if the S-video that comes of adapters like the CA-325a is going to look significantly better in this application than the composite video coming of the DXC-325 camera head itself?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]