FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing & Using the Proper Monitor

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Prohaska
Choosing & Using the Proper Monitor
on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:10:44 pm

This has been a true nightmare. There is all sorts of computer monitors out there. I can't seem to find the right one to buy. I shoot in 1080HD now and would like to view my content at fullrez on my MacPro but finding a good monitor that is much more than resolution has proven difficult.

Color Accuracy, Price, Refresh Rate, etc.

The new apple displays are Glossy and I don't trust them, the Dell 2408 seems cheap on some level and I'm a bit nervous to buy that, and most others are either crap, or way too expensive.

I'm also having trouble finding something to color correct on. I can't afford $5000+ monitors or equipment. But I do need to judge brightness and contrast and basis CC the best I can without being totally wrong. The NTSC Prod. Monitor I have now seems to give me a crappy image when outputing to it through SVIDEO and a small DV cam (HD project file in FCP). The resulting image is jagged and not downrez properly it seems, and it can't even playback the video.

Someone out there who knows what I need please tell me. I'm looking for a decent monitor to do work on that can give me 1920x1080 minimum rez, and a way to CC with that Prod. Monitor properly if not 100% accurately.

I was looking at Sony GDM-FW900. 24in CRT Monitor. Seems to be highly regarded and I can get one for roughly $400 including shipping. This is my first post on CreativeCow so be gentle :)

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
Re: Choosing & Using the Proper Monitor
on Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39:32 am

I'd suggest looking at the Blackmagic Intensity Pro so that you could go component or composite out to your monitor (rather than through your DV camera).

As for a monitor suggestion, I have a JVC HD Broadcast Monitor and love it. You can get the JVC DT-V24L1U and the Intensity Pro card for about the same price as a Matrox MXO+Apple 23" LCD combo.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:38:02 pm

The HP/Dreamworks LP2480xz is touted as a color critical monitor for about $3500. Somewhat more pricey than the 2408 or even the Apple Cinema monitor but looking at the specs -30 bit color, etc., it would be worth considering. We are looking at purchasing them for refurbishing our edit suites, although we do have a Sony BVM-20 which we'll continue to use.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:18:36 pm

If you're looking in the $3500 price range, then take a look at the JVC DT-V24L1DU which has HD-SDI added onto it. This the monitor we have on all of our edit bays at the office. There are a few others in this price range, but definitely talk to a dealer and look at the screens in action before making any decisions.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:53:05 pm

The DT-V24L1DU has been replaced by the ..3DU which adds a few bells & whistles. Street price seems to be $4200. The HP/Dreamworks price is now around $2500. Hmm. It certainly doesn't have the audio system, tc readout and the other features. On the other hand, if you don't need them...? I certainly agree that you need to put your eyeballs on any monitor you are considering.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]