FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast File Format

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Mims
Broadcast File Format
on Oct 2, 2008 at 3:09:11 am

Hi all,

I'm venturing into my first experience with broadcast video. Previously, everything I've done has been for the web, DVD or large screen projection.

I just spent two weeks in the Caribbean islands doing hurricane relief work, and several of the local stations want to air a short video I've put together. I wanted to get some feedback on my workflow, and find out if there is a better way to be going about this in order to get the best quality possible.

Shot on: HDV 1080p24, Sony HVR-V1U
Captured as HDV
Edited on a 1080i60 timeline

The last person I spoke with at the station said an MPEG2 was a good file to go with, but I did a test run of it and the quality didn't excite me at all. There were image issues, especially on fast pans etc.

My friend also gave me these guidelines: " If they want a file, try to send them the native file format that you're editing. Make sure your whites are under 100%, 30 seconds of tone, 5 seconds of slate, 8 second countdown (from 10 to 2, leave the last two full seconds black)
Tone should be at -20 and do not let your program go over -6, average should be around -10, speaking should never fall under -18 - keep it closer to -10 -12. You might need a compressor for the voice, we usually do."

So, advice on what I can do to preserve the picture quality, and can anyone tell me if there's a better file.

Thanks in advance!
Peace and Love,
Katie

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: Broadcast File Format
on Oct 2, 2008 at 1:09:57 pm

I have sent out mpg2, MOV with animation codec, and uncompressed AVI's. The latter two are extremely big files so you usually have to cut them up into small chunks to get them on data DVD's. The alternative is to send a tape, jsut find out what format they prefer, that you have access to.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Las Vegas, Nevada
Charlie@proking.net

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
Re: Broadcast File Format
on Oct 3, 2008 at 9:01:54 pm

Just ask them for their specs. Oh, and for slate, in the broadcast world 10 secs is standard then 10 black then program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]