FORUMS: list search recent posts

VITC/LTC TC not matching (HDCAM-SR)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Warren
VITC/LTC TC not matching (HDCAM-SR)
on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:32:12 pm

I am having some problems with our VITC and LTC TC not matching up when laying back to HDCAM. For example: when I layback something to the deck my LTC will read 01:05:06;00, however, my VITC reads something like: 00:03:06;00.

This causes major problems for me because I have to clone tapes that are deadline sensitive to the Panasonic D5 as well and it's not pulling accurate timecode. The weird part is, I haven't changed anything of the steps of my process...I am thinking somewhere along the way a system setting was changed.

Basically, I need the VITC/LTC to match, and I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate this problem. ANY INSIGHT???

"Live in the Beauty of your own reality."

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: VITC/LTC TC not matching (HDCAM-SR)
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:25:27 pm

From the description it is possible that source VITC is being transferred to your edit master. I don't use VITC and save myself a lot of problems I used to have with BetaSP tapes. On my old Sony 9000 linear editor occasionally a tape would go screaming off in search of the number that was right there in LTC. Unless there is a specific reason for using VITC I'd turn it off and use LTC only. When transferring to D5 it might be best to lay black with matching LTC and then do an assemble edit with the same timecodes so the TC is regenerated in the machine. My $.02- HTH

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:43:32 pm

Sometimes the problem is too basic to see, too simple to notice... are you selecting control track by mistake? Some decks need to be in local mode before the change from one mode ot the other takes effect. Can't tell you hoe many times a simple switch on the front panel got bumped but not noticed, and led to a long troubleshooting session, when all I had to do was a methodical sweep of the panel settings first. Usually, if you call someone else into the room that hasn't been looking at it, they spot it instantly, because they haven't built up the same perceptual "blind spot".

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:28:47 pm

Sorry for the delayed response to your specific post, but for some reason, my boss is Hell bent on having the VITC and LTC be matched. It is posing problems for our offline editors when the footage is digitized into the AVID. I think I may have cured the problem. Whenever we layback to the SR deck we have it set to SDI-VITC/REGEN, I don't know how this is responsible for matching the LTC and VITC but it seems to work. I've stopped questioning rational reasoning for settings on these HD decks, because when you set something that seems like the logical choice, it never is. So, now I just go with what works and take notes on it. Thanks for all the input! It is a great help!

"Live in the Beauty of your own reality."

Return to posts index

Isaac Bennetch
on Oct 23, 2008 at 12:21:39 pm

We have seen this same problem and while I don't have a complete solution, I have one menu setting to check that may help. On the front soft menu (I think it's page 2), look for the LTC/VITC button. It's not down in the scrolling setup menu, it's one of the soft keys. Toggle through and try each of the three options, for us "Auto" seems to do the trick but one other poster suggested that the VITC is being copied from your other deck; in which case you may need to force LTC.

Just kind of a shot in the dark, but good luck!

Return to posts index

Isaac Bennetch
on Oct 23, 2008 at 12:36:33 pm

Whoops; I goofed on the location of the menu. I'm not sure about the menu location on the SR decks but can check tomorrow if need be.

Return to posts index

Isaac Bennetch
on Oct 24, 2008 at 3:25:36 pm

From the front panel, it's the "TC" menu and soft key F5. Also check your regen source which is F6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]