FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcasters technical specs.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Poirier
Broadcasters technical specs.
on Aug 20, 2008 at 12:02:30 am

hello all,

I'm presently working on a kids animation series, and the broadcasters specs are as follows..

HD programming shall be delivered on Sony HDCam video
cassette tapes with a 1080i / 59.94 video frame rate

the frame format is 1920 x 1080.

In FCP, I see that the default settings for 60i is 1920 x 1080 (60) @ 29.97

I have done all the animations in 59.94 fps.. but is there such a thing or have I done that for nothing?

My question is ... is the 59.95 fps is real or it's 29.97 interlace... and did I do it right in FCP by setting my frame rate to 59.94 instead of the default 29.97

thx.

Marc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Broadcasters technical specs.
on Aug 20, 2008 at 12:45:37 pm

59.94 is correct. 29.97 x 2 = 59.94 (2 fields).

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 20, 2008 at 1:47:03 pm

OK, so doing it in 59.94 is OK, but if 29.97 is 2 fields, then 59.94 is still 2 fields?

And which codec to use for output? Since it's animation, everything is rendered out with the Animation Codec, but for the output to tape, Should I use the Apple Pro Res codec, or just use Animation throughout the whole process... I'm afraid if I use Animation for PTT, I might get into dropped frames problems..

thx.

Marc.

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:27:04 pm

These are all just cutsie names. 59.94 and 29.97 will give you the same results.

NO ONE uses the animation codec (except you graphics guys). Convert everything over (render) to a VIDEO codec like DVCProHD or ProRes422 or ProRes422HQ or uncompressed HD (8 or 10 bit). The animation codec is useless in video land.

You get dropped frame errors from working with drives that are too slow. If you are trying to do uncompressed HD on a FW drive (for example), I assure you, you will get dropped frames.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 20, 2008 at 3:49:31 pm

OH really!! wow...

Geat.. Thanks for the info...

So a firewire 800 should be ok for a ProRes codec...

MP.

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2008 at 4:21:10 pm

[Marc Poirier] "HD programming shall be delivered on Sony HDCam video
cassette tapes with a 1080i / 59.94 video frame rate.

In FCP, I see that the default settings for 60i is 1920 x 1080 (60) @ 29.97

I have done all the animations in 59.94 fps.. but is there such a thing or have I done that for nothing? "

Just to clarify:
In NTSC for broadcast, 1920x1080 video is interlaced, with a frame rate of 29.97. This creates 59.94 FIELDS per second. That's so close to 60 that some people simply round up.

59.94 FRAMES per second is overkill, but it won't hurt anything. It will get converted to 59.94 fields soon enough. The motion will look like the motion if you shot a real person with a real TV camera.

If you want a more filmic-type motion in your animation, you can animate at 29.97 FRAMES/sec. Along the way, it will get converted to 59.94 FIELDS/sec, but since the two fields in a frame are from the same instant in time, its looks like a complete frame.

Kapish?

Now, here's a probably-useless factoid: there are cameras that do indeed make 1920x1080, progressive-scan video at 29.97 complete frames per second. No interlacing. But such cameras are rare and VERY pricey.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 20, 2008 at 5:33:53 pm

Ah! great..

thanks for all this great info...

regards,

Marc.

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Aug 21, 2008 at 11:31:34 pm

If you're going to go the prores route, check this out:

Going out to HDCAM isn't possible unless you have a KONA, BlackMagic, V3HD or IO box to connect to the HDCAM deck - and you'd have to either rent or own an HDCAM deck.

That's from another forum. I didn't realize you could go to an HDCam deck without your footage being uncompressed....

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:04:37 am

I was afraid of that reality... I was starting to think that I would need a super powerful machine to output HD material and was wondering how it was done... so there I have it! Guess I'll start looking for some hardware!

thx for the info..

Marc

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:35:53 am

Wait a minute... that means the iMacs are not good for that anymore... Since I need a PCI slot, then I need a tower... + raid disks ... + + +... here goes the profits!

So sata are no good... what's the "standard" .. I see drobo, fusion D400 or raid from apple?

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 22, 2008 at 10:17:04 pm

Marc -
I don't know what the f#$% you are talking about. If you have an iMAC you can use an AJA I/O HD, or MOTU V4HD for outputting to a HD VTR. There are ways to work around everything -

EXCEPT ONE -
you MUST SPEND MONEY to be in business. If you are a great chef, and you want to open up a tiny restaurant (even a pizza store), IT COSTS MONEY. If you are a house painter, you need to buy TOOLS AND A VAN to paint someone's house. You can't mow someone's lawn without a LAWNMOWER and a truck to get the lawnmower to your clients house.

If you don't like these rules, then GET A JOB. If you want to be an independent production company, and shoot and edit material for broadcast, then you must BUY BROADCAST EQUIPMENT. Want to clean toilets for a big hotel chain - you need LIABILITY INSURANCE, not just your two hands to clean those toilets.

BUY EQUIPMENT and stop eating. You will make a lot of money, and then can have lots of profits for food, and other things you like.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 23, 2008 at 1:30:13 pm

I just found that out yesterday actually, that YES, i could keep my current gear and use the IO with them...

NOW.. the question.. by doing that, I am not buying a Ferrari with a pony engine?.. meaning I can output HD, etc. but with computers that might not have the rendering power to render HD..

so...
1. keep existing computers and add to them or.
2. get an 8 core and start from there..

getting a drive raid like caldigit's or drobo is sufficiant, or should I look for something like Xserve...

thx.

Marc.

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:06:59 pm

and exactly what is your existing computer ? Actually, why don't you list your equipment, so I can give you an eval of what you might need to buy.

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 23, 2008 at 5:02:51 pm

here goes..

1. iMac silver 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo 2GB ram
2. MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo 2GB ram

1TB WD, + 4 standalone 350 to 500 GB HD. FW400-800

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 23, 2008 at 5:32:57 pm

well Marc, you have made a modest investment into broadcast video gear. Can you work in HD - sure. As long as it's HDV, DVCProHD or ProRes422 (and HQ). With this gear, you certainly can hookup the assorted capture and output boxes from AJA, MOTU and Matrox, but you can't run a power house drive array (like a Cal Digit HDPro or Apple Xserve RAID for example) with this equipment. Do you need this if you have only ProRes422 footage. Probably not.

As time goes on, and you continue to make money, you will have to decide weather to keep reinvesting in equipment, or get yourself a shiny new BMW. This is what all of us face. Do I really need that AJA I/O HD, or a new washing machine ? Do I need to buy a MAC Book Pro tower with a Cal Digit HD One drive array, or should I buy a new bedroom set, or fly to the Caribbean for a much needed vacation ?

Only you can make that decision. As you stay in this business (or any business - be it auto mechanic, house painter, or lawn service), you will continue to purchase equipment for your business, to get you more work, and make your life easier. This is called INVESTMENT in your business.

You do it at your own pace. When you decide that you want the new car, new bedroom set, and vacation in the Bahamas, and then post back on Creative Cow that you are having trouble getting the networks to accept your tapes because of illegal levels, or because of noise in your video image, we will just "break your balls". But I don't deny, it's nice having a nice new car !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 23, 2008 at 6:08:06 pm

Dear Bob.. you're going off track here.. As you don't know me, or what I do, your personal input in how my business equipment serves me, small or big, is irrelevant. I ain't gonna buy a Ferrari to go to the corner store!

I've been in the business for over 15 years, mostly as a freelancer... Yes I could not eat and buy gear.. But I still need to provide for my family... having thousands in gear and telling the family hey.. can't eat, no vacation, etc. ... is not my way of thinking, I am trying to do both.. Hopefully, you're in the business to make money and not just to buy gear!!! and be on top of everybody... I'm able to do a lot more with my "small gear" than some can with high end equipement. that being said, I could say that I was ahead of the game as I was mostly offering services to corporate clients, editing on the field with a mobile suite..

this year, the business is growing at a crazy paste and I have signed a TV show (12 episodes) that is 2D animation + the new broadcaster standards as of may 2008 is everything needs to be delivered in HD.. Do I need to invest.. NOW it makes more sense...

Before I invest, I want to make sure I am going to buy the right equipment that will be good for a couple of years... And quite frankly being a Editing/Post production facility, it's not to my advantage to be equipped with HD decks etc. as the requests from the clients vary quite a bit.. Right now, I'm better off renting these equipments as I need them... But I still want to be able to perform in HD..

The past week, speaking to different people, I went from having to buy $100,000 equipment, to $5000.00, to I'm good with what I have...

Since I was looking at caldigit, then you pretty much answered my question..

As long as it's HDV, DVCProHD or ProRes422 (and HQ). With this gear, you certainly can hookup the assorted capture and output boxes from AJA, MOTU and Matrox, but you can't run a power house drive array (like a Cal Digit HDPro or Apple Xserve RAID for example) with this equipment. Do you need this if you have only ProRes422 footage

I realize that I'm maxed out with the gear I have an it's time to move ahead...

I'm going on vacation in october, so I have until then to ask question without breaking my balls :)

cheers.

MP

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 23, 2008 at 6:29:57 pm

OK, then do this -

Apple MAC Pro with 4 Gig RAM
2 Apple or Dell 24" LCD monitors
AJA Kona LHe card (there are more expensive products)
AJA Kona KL box for LHe
Cal Digit HD One (there are more expensive products)
AJA GEN10 black gen with DWP power supply
APC Smart UPS 1500 RM2U backup UPS power supply
Behringer Xenyx 1204FX (small mixer just to monitor with)
M-Audio BX-5A speakers (so so, not too expensive speakers).
Panasonic TH42PH10UKA 42" Plasma display for about $900 US. - not great quality, but perfectly suited to montior HD, and can be used as a nice TV for the kids with your cable TV box.

So that's a full HD system under $15,000, that you can easily edit an HD show with. There are countless variations to this (better speakers, better mixer, better capture card, bigger drives, more professional TV monitor, etc.) but this will work. Do you need all this - can't you use your iMAC ? What the hell do I know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
on Aug 23, 2008 at 6:39:20 pm

Oh Great!

I have the mixer, speakers and Plasma TV, unfortunately for the kids... it's at the office :)

you'd go for 4 gigs over 8, because the software can't handle 8gigs, or for $$$ purposes?

You prefer 2 monitors over 1 large one..

Whoo ooo.. time to break to piggy bank!

thanks again...

Marc.

Thanks!

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]