FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black and Coding tape on HDCAM-SR

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Warren
Black and Coding tape on HDCAM-SR
on Aug 14, 2008 at 4:27:27 pm

I am not getting reference on my SR deck when I press rec/play to begin the black and code...I've tried setting to lock 1 and lock 2 and I am still getting the blinking stop light. I know we have reference going to it too.

Its kinda a vauge description of the problem, but perhaps someone out there knows what I am talking about. If you have any experience on the SR deck please let me know and I can go into detail of what I am experiencing.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
Re: Black and Coding tape on HDCAM-SR
on Aug 14, 2008 at 11:12:26 pm

This is assuming you're using Sony's 5500 SR.

You should be able to black and code your tape via the internal generators. I believe if you go into Setup (maybe it's PF1), then F6 (or perhaps vice versa), you can scroll through the menu--keep going way down until you get to Video Signal Generator and Audio Signal Generator. You have to set each, and Save & Exit. You probably want Black Burst (BB) and Silence. I always set both back to off when I'm done striping.

When you go to stripe, you have to have it on INT. TC and PRESET (click on the TC button to set those). I believe the sequence is TC SET, enter your desired start timecode with the keypad, SET, then TIMER SET. Then begin REC/PLAY. Remember to set your TC back to REGEN and however you want the timecode to be laid down.

Be patient with the jog wheel--it's slower to respond than some of Sony's prior decks.

I wish I had the deck in front of me, but it's a matter of getting the keystrokes and settings down. You can also find the Sony SR manual online.

My Weekly Comic for TV Techs: http://fpscomic.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Aug 15, 2008 at 4:18:00 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the response. I had almost all your steps down but I was forgetting to set my deck to Preset, so thanks for the info because now I should be good to go. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Aug 15, 2008 at 4:24:35 pm

Actually, I forgot something...do you happen to know if the deck will automatically record in both LITC and VITC or is that something I will need to set. I've been trying to search the settings for the TC Generator to record VITC.

I hope it will do both rather than one or the other...your thoughts are much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:03:09 am

Hey Scott,

The TCR SEL (F5) option is simply what is being read. I would keep it on auto. In general, if LTC and VITC are not matching, there's something wrong with the timecode, so yes, both should be recorded for maximum efficiency in playback. VITC is more "accurate" with playing by frames (VITC will be on the display when hanging on a frame because it's accurate that way [read from the Vertical Interval of the vertical timing signal], but too-fast play will not allow VITC to be seen) but LTC being recorded essentially as an audio track can only be seen when the tape is in motion. So if you pause on a frame, LTC won't be displayed because it can't be read--just like normal audio can't be read when the tape isn't moving.

-Keith

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Aug 21, 2008 at 8:37:15 pm

I have encountered an issue that I am not sure how it occurred. I've been able to black and code a few tapes using the steps you provided me...however, I have come across a reference issue. I am not sure where this is coming from at all. This is what I have set:

Under TC Menu

TCR SEL - Auto
TCG MODE - PRST
RUN MODE - REC
DF/NDF - DF
TC2 - OFF

VTR SETUP Menu

T04 INT AUD SG - Silence
T02 INT VID SG - Black

When I press REC/PLAY to begin it'll run for a few seconds, all the while the STOP button blinks on and off (to my understanding means no reference is being seen by the deck) and then I will get a warning message saying to reference lock.

I've tried locking to LOCK 1 and LOCK 2 but still no luck. Suggestions?

"Live in the Beauty of your own reality."

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
on Aug 23, 2008 at 12:10:38 am

I believe my keystroke order was wrong last post. If you do the wrong order, it won't understand that you want to use the internal signals.

This should be the correct way:

1) Press F1 (Timer Sel).
2) Enter the timecode using the numeric keypad (you don't need the leading "0").
3) Press the SET button.
4) Press F3 (Timer Set, NOT Select).
5) Hit REC and PLAY at the same time. You should see it begin on the timecode you just set.

REC MODE (F8) has to be on REC, not FREE, when striping a tape.

Make sure you don't have any other timecode signals coming in to be on the safe side.

As long as you have internal signals set for video and audio, this should work regardless of a reference (which of course should be tri-level and set to the correct resolution to account for HD's bandwidth, though).

Hope this helps,
Keith

Return to posts index

tim Livezey
on Sep 10, 2009 at 2:56:36 pm

Hey, Quick question...after blacking the tape..do i need to set the TCG mode to regen to lay footage onto the tape i just blacked?

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
on Sep 11, 2009 at 12:09:36 am

Yes, REGEN is proper, versus PRESET, which will give you unlocked (and probably wrong) timecode. The sub-category of REGEN (EXT, INT, etc.) is dependent on your setup--if you're using an external TCG, etc.

http://keithtroester.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Dae Min
on Sep 3, 2010 at 1:48:26 am

One thing to make sure of is whether or not PreRead Editing is off(make sure it's off!). You can go into the menu and I believe it's the first thing on top.

After that, just normalize and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Bunnseng Prom
on Jan 14, 2009 at 9:41:12 am

I am pretty sure it is a reference issue. Whenever I encounter this I check how the VTR is looking at the reference. I make sure I have the VTR looking at the right reference by going to "Video" and checking first F1. To see if I am getting SD or HD reference. Then to F2. Whether it is in "Auto", "Ext" or "Input". I believe it is F2 "Servo something" that will change these settings.

I hope that helps your situation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]