FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic D5 HD deck...rookie on the machine

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Warren
Panasonic D5 HD deck...rookie on the machine
on Aug 13, 2008 at 5:30:08 pm

Hello All!

We just got a new Panasonic HD D5 deck in and I am a bit under the gun to quickly figure out how to operate this beast because I need to put together some test clips for a client. I need a little direction in a few areas and perhaps you could assist as I quickly thumb through manual as well...

1. Do I need to activate internal black burst to black and code tapes? If so, is it under the set-up menu? Also, not quite clear on how to set the TC for B&C...I was able to set, but still not quite sure how I got it to do it...any clarification?

2. I need to do some insert edits from Digibeta, the HDCAM-SR had many little settings to adjust that took forever to figure out before it could do them properly, is this going to be the same with the D5? Any suggestions?

I think that is all for now...I am sure I will be seeking additional direction in the future...thanks for anything you can throw my way!

SW

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Panasonic D5 HD deck...rookie on the machine
on Aug 13, 2008 at 6:03:27 pm

[Scott Warren] "1. Do I need to activate internal black burst to black and code tapes? If so, is it under the set-up menu? Also, not quite clear on how to set the TC for B&C...I was able to set, but still not quite sure how I got it to do it...any clarification? "
You can just feed the machine black from your routing switcher or video switcher. Go to the home page and use the arrows to activate the top register. Then press the center button between the arrows twice and use the number pad to enter the desired TC. Then press the yellow "ent" on the right of the number pad and then record and play to start the machine. Once you press enter the numbers begin counting so give yourself a few seconds pad on the number you enter.

RE: Question 2: I assume you have an upconverter for the DigiBeta you want to record on the D5 HD.
If not, you'll have to get one. To insert edit on existing control track press "Insert" on the control panel. This will bring up the Insert Edit menu on the LCD screen. Press F9 to turn the Insert on and use the number pad to enter a start number. Use the yellow F + number pad to enter an outgoing TC or duration.

This is in the manual but what fun is that? Just wait until you have to use the sub-menus! :-)

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Aug 13, 2008 at 6:55:45 pm

Hi Del,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry on the D5 deck.

In reference to question 1, we are using a patch bay set-up. Our HDCAM-SR deck has an internal black burst generator that I used to B&C a tape with, so I just assume that the D5 would have something similar. However, I will patch black burst into the deck from the patch bay...should I be aware of anything when doing it this way?

Question 2:

Yes, we are using an AJA FS1 converter for taking SD footage to UC to HD. As soon as my tape is finished B&Cing I will give the insert a test run...hopefully all goes well.

Thanks again...

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Aug 13, 2008 at 7:10:34 pm

Hi Scott
Yes - press the Video In button on the front panel below Home. On the bottom left of the LCD screen there is an HD under which F1 selects internal or digital and F2 selects which test signal (Bars, ramp, black, etc.) you want when you select internal sg. Normal operation for us is Digital and SIF PLL but we operate HD-SDI through a routing switcher.

Good luck and have fun. The D5 is a good machine.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Aug 19, 2008 at 12:54:21 am

For TC. Hit TC/CHR (I think, I'm not at the machine) F1 until you hit internal F2 to preset.

For Video. Hit Video in, change to INT signal, change INT signal to Black Burst (F2 menu)

Now if you go to your home screen you can manually punch in TC (so you can just hit 00:58:00:00 (or whatever you want to start at) hit ENTER afterward.

Rewind and REC/PLAY

Should work fine.

Or if you are using FCP you can set the machine to INT / AUTO and FCP will stripe for you without you having to change the machine around.

As for insert editing, your best bet is to read the manual...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]