FORUMS: list search recent posts

Locking the outer casing on a deck

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scot Lenter
Locking the outer casing on a deck
on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:33:00 pm

Hey,
We just received a piece of rental equipment back and it came back with one of the goods boards from our deck missing and replaced with a bad board from their deck. Of course, one way to avoid this is to label every board and check them when they are returned. However, this will take away from my employees valuable time.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a system to lock the outer casing on our decks (and cameras?) so that the boards cannot be accessed. Any help would be much appreciated!

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Locking the outer casing on a deck
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:26:35 pm

Maybe one of the antitheft cable systems used for laptops could work? Would require a little custom drilling of the holes and etc. Or replace a couple of the screws with anti-theft TORX type ones. Regular phillips heads can't work on them, nor bondhus ball driver heads, but the special screws cost quite a bit, and you can still pick up a kit of various drivers at some place like harbor Freight.

But if this was me needing to do this, I'd use a couple of the security screws (just to slow them down and make them think twice) plus tape across the joints... the same kind of tape you see used for warranty stickers, that shows tampering if removed... used to have a lot of that used for rental VHS tapes at the local stores... maybe Markertek still has it?

You might also consider using disposable stick-on "g-shock meters" to expensive gear like decks. These are often used in shipping, and are calibrated in various amounts of shock. Putting one in a visible spot is like parking a spare police car along the road where speeders travel: it makes people a little more careful.

If I were sneaky, I'd have a second one hidden inside the casing, rated to a higher g-limit, to help prove who was careful and who wasn't. Extra clause in the rental paperwork says if the g-shock is busted, you're paying extra for a maintenance check and re-alignment, plus any damage.

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:24:27 pm

Mark, these are all fantastic ideas. Thanks so much!! We are going to start with some strong stickers with our logo on them from Digi-key and if that doesn't work we will probably go with the Torx screws

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:34:07 pm

You're welcome. Markertek has these:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=TRVL&off=133&sort=prod&skuo...

I love Markertek; they are like the J.C. Whitney's or Warshowski's of video gear.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Jul 24, 2008 at 3:49:52 pm

Hmm, Those look good but it would be nice to have our logo on it.

Plus.. f*** the tape. Where do i get the "Warning: If this protective label is tampered with, customer must purchase this deck" labels!

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:27:51 pm

Here's a place that not only makes the tamper-revealing tape, they can probably make it with your logo... they also show something I forgot about: the tiny wired seals crimped with special pliers that emboss the lead or plastic... to use these you'd only need the tiniest of holes in the case corners, pass the wire thru, trim it very short, and crimp the seal on. Similar to how cable TV linemen mark multiple cables at apartment complexes and the like. This company is Italian, but a deeper google should get you something closer to home.

http://www.leghorn-suppliers.com/menuintphoto.htm

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:31:32 pm

These guys should have what you need.

http://www.qclabels.com/QCL/tamper_evident_labels.asp

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]