FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Transfer over gigabit network.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon Erickson
Video Transfer over gigabit network.
on Jul 22, 2008 at 6:10:24 am

Hi,
I am looking for advice on a system to transfer video over a gigabit network. Currently we use Sony DSR-DR1000A to record live production and then dump the camera feeds via firewire to a MAC for editing in Final Cut. Our problem is that the control room space we have is very limited and up on the end of the catwalk at the other side of the building as the tech offices. We have had some office space become available that we would like to convert to a post production editing suite and are looking for a way to remotely access the video files and transfer them quickly. The DSR-DR1000A has network capability but at 100mpbs to transfer feeds from multiple cameras via this type of networking would be very time consuming. Firewire is faster at 800mbps but can only do a limited distance (the distance between the control room and the new post-suite is approx 1000ft). Our IT department have no suggestions for us so I am hoping someone here might give me some advice as to a direction to start before we start bothering vendors for ideas.

I have looked at this unit but it looks like it requires optical media to write too, I am hoping to stay with a disk unit: Sony PDW1500 XDCAM (http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/prod_detail.cfm?eq_id=438891)

Also we are looking to go HD soon and would like something that is forward compatible to at least 1080i.
Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
Gord

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video Transfer over gigabit network.
on Jul 23, 2008 at 4:01:50 pm

[Gordon Erickson] "....we use Sony DSR-DR1000A to record live production and then dump the camera feeds via firewire to a MAC for editing in Final Cut...
We have had some office space become available that we would like to convert to a post production editing suite and are looking for a way to remotely access the video files and transfer them quickly....
we are looking to go HD soon and would like something that is forward compatible to at least 1080i. "

Unless your company has money to burn, the HD conversion should be your PRIMARY CONCERN at the moment. Put up with the editing aggravation for the moment and start thinking about the far bigger changes in the future. They'll make your immediate problem look like a hangnail compared to a gunshot wound.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]