FORUMS: list search recent posts

Open/closed captioning.. need some help

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perrone Ford
Open/closed captioning.. need some help
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:51:04 pm

Hey guys, I need some guidance if you could.

(I apologize for doing this in the broadcasting forum but I do work with broadcasters and no one else out there seems to understand this stuff like broadcasters do)

I have a need to add open and/or close captions to a live video stream. That stream will then be recorded to a master tape. Seems simple on the face of it, but there are a couple of wrinkles.

1. I'd like to allow remote CART access to do the captioning, and preferably over the internet versus dial-in. This isn't a show stopper, just a preference.

2. I'd like to be able to send either HD or SD video inbound to the encoder. At this point, I need to caption our legacy SD video and caption our new HD generated productions as well.

3. The biggie. Most of the encoders I've seen give me a choice of either an HDI or SDI out connection. I do not have either on my recording devices. Is there a unit available that offers both an HD/SD SDI out AND something component/composite/1394 out? I'd like to hook this to an NTSC SD recorder for the moment until we can upgrade to something that can properly handle HD.

I'd be HUGELY grateful for information regarding this.

Thanks,

Perrone Ford
FL Supreme Court

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Open/closed captioning.. need some help
on Jul 16, 2008 at 2:28:28 pm

[Perrone Ford] "1. I'd like to allow remote CART access to do the captioning, and preferably over the internet versus dial-in. This isn't a show stopper, just a preference."

This is more a function of the captioning service you will contract with. If they can do internet, most stations can recieve it and encode it.

[Perrone Ford] "2. I'd like to be able to send either HD or SD video inbound to the encoder. At this point, I need to caption our legacy SD video and caption our new HD generated productions as well."

It is my understanding that the encoders are different. We haven't been CC'ing HD tapes because there was no encoder made. It now has been but I'm not sure if it accepts SD video.

[Perrone Ford] "3. The biggie. Most of the encoders I've seen give me a choice of either an HDI or SDI out connection. I do not have either on my recording devices. Is there a unit available that offers both an HD/SD SDI out AND something component/composite/1394 out? I'd like to hook this to an NTSC SD recorder for the moment until we can upgrade to something that can properly handle HD."

AJA and Black Magic both make transcoder video cards that work in Macs and PCs. If you research these you'll find a device that will work for you. You might make your HD VCR selection based on whether or not it will play legacy tapes. I know there are certain Sony models of HD CamSR that will play legacy formats. Check their website for more information.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
Re: Open/closed captioning.. need some help
on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:33:17 pm

Thanks Del,

I had a nice conversation with a premier vendor in this area regarding this technology. They do sell a box that seems to address all my needs though it is a sizable investment. It can take HD or SD video in over separate SDI interfaces, and it can output over SDI. The output depends on what is being input. It also has the ability to accept captioning via built-in modem, or via internet connection.

So the question now, is simply how to record that SDI signal on the far end, post-captioning. This unit did not offer any type of analog out, and I fear I may well not find a unit that does.

I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]