FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my Monitor fried?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Peralta
Is my Monitor fried?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:36:06 am

Hi All,

I got a PVM-14m4u that i have been using for about 3-4 years now, and something odd happened. When I went to turn on my monitor, and it goes to where its about to turn on, it suddenly it goes completely black and I cannot select a source (no LEDs are on the controls except power) and the Tally Light turns on(A first).

Did my tube just go out? Is there anything i can pop open and reset? Pls advise wise COWs..

Thanks

-Dave

hmm... I wonder what this button does...

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
Re: Is my Monitor fried?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 8:26:02 pm

Does it attempt to do a degauss at all? Does it sound like something electrical is happening. It might be your tube, however it might also be a board that has gone bad, and the monitor is shutting off the tube as a safety measure. You might want to call the closest Sony Broadcast center in your region. It's worth getting an estimate. If it's going to cost more than the current value of the the monitor, sell it for parts and but a used one if you don't want an LCD based product.

The used monitor market is filled with great inventory at the moment.

Videographer/Editor
Creative Director
Union Digital, Inc.
http://www.uniondigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Peralta
on Jul 15, 2008 at 6:24:56 pm

[Chris Brown] "Does it attempt to do a degauss at all? Does it sound like something electrical is happening"

No.. just shuts straight off and the tally light comes right on.I did turn it on once and then i had some sort of signal for like 5 seconds, then it went off again. and back to tally light.

any other ideas?

thanks

-dave

Return to posts index

Dan Deon
on Jul 14, 2008 at 8:31:32 pm

I don't believe your monitor tube is toasted. But I *do* think the power supply built into the monitor has blown a component. A good repair shop (one that knows how to work on CRT teevees) should be able to fix it.

Good luck!
Dan

Return to posts index

David Peralta
on Jul 15, 2008 at 6:27:10 pm

[Dan Deon] "I don't believe your monitor tube is toasted. But I *do* think the power supply built into the monitor has blown a component. A good repair shop (one that knows how to work on CRT teevees) should be able to fix it.
"

Do you have an idea how much that would cost?

Return to posts index

Dan Deon
on Jul 15, 2008 at 9:31:54 pm

Ah, well, no.

And it's really *very* difficult to estimate something like this. Sort of like trying to get your mechanic to tell you how much *that rattle* will cost to fix.

I will tell you I revived an LCD monitor (that would have gone into the trash) with three 50 cent parts. And that I have another monitor that I cannot fix. So...

Most shops will credit your estimate charge (usually an hour of shop time) into your repair bill, if that is any help...

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]