FORUMS: list search recent posts

FTP delivery

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Frame
FTP delivery
on Jun 21, 2008 at 5:22:51 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum.
We are located in a smaller area and local stations have been taking delivery of spots on DVD and as MOV files. We just got a new client who's past production company has been delivering via "FTP" allowing download from their site. One station is located about 60 miles away and the "FTP" thing works well.

Any recommendations on how to set this up with our website?

My first thought is to create a password protected PHP page and add the links to the files on it. Stations can log in, right click on the file to download... or I could add a button that says download for them to click to get the download started.

Is using an FTP type software quicker that just clicking on a file and downloading it? I'm not sure what the stations have other than an internet connection.

Any tips on keeping file size down would be appreciated as well. Currently most work is done through AE and render as QT Animation MOV with a high setting. This leaves the 30sec. spot at around 700MB which is very large for a download.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you everyone,
Brett

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: FTP delivery
on Jun 23, 2008 at 10:49:52 pm

There are commercial services for this too, perhaps you don't need to re-invent the wheel? I know of at least two, if you join them, you can send your stuff anywhere, not just to that one client...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:58:03 pm

DGFastchannel has specs for spot delivery. As part of the service they'll QC your workflow to make sure you're meeting spec.

Return to posts index

Brett Frame
on Jun 30, 2008 at 11:39:11 pm

Thank you for your input. I will take a look at your suggestion. I went ahead and setup a password protected PHP page an uploaded the files there. So far no troubles.
Thank you,
Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]