FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digibeta stock - best quality?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rusty Brown
Digibeta stock - best quality?
on Jun 14, 2008 at 12:22:33 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to get peoples opinions on Digibeta tape stock - which is best quality and/or value for money?

BASF seems to be quite a lot cheaper than say Sony or Fuji - why is this? Is is worth saving the money or will I regret it?

(I'm looking at 6 and 12 min lengths)

All feedback and thoughts really appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Digibeta stock - best quality?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 5:57:12 pm

We've used both Sony and Fuji stock for years with good results. No problems with either. I've been buying Fuji's for shorter productions and Sony's for longer format programs. I'm not a big fan of BASF.
I would imagine that the tape should work OK in the machines, but some of BASF's tapes in the past were pretty abrasive and would tend to wear the transport/heads at a faster rate than some of the other tapes. Can't say whether this would be true for Digibeta's or not.
Tom

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 23, 2008 at 7:43:59 pm

Where do you live? I have a ton of extra db stock that I will sell to you. Name your price.

joeyattmproddotnet

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:17:30 am

Supposedly Sony makes more robust tapes, but maybe that's just smart marketing and the Sony name towering above.

Almost all the networks we deliver tapes to require Sony stock. Some will simply not accept other brands, such as Fuji or (god forbid) Maxell.

-Keith

My Weekly Comic for TV Techs: http://fpscomic.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Scott Warren
on Aug 16, 2008 at 12:48:50 am

The guy who services out digi decks tells us not to use Maxell tape stock. Their stock wears on the heads more than say, Sony or the Fuji.
I don't know how accurate that is, but considering that he opens digi decks up and maintains them for a living, I trust his opinion.

Just something to consider.

"Live in the Beauty of your own reality."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]