FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to Get TV News Room Footage?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay leonard
Where to Get TV News Room Footage?
on May 26, 2008 at 1:19:22 am

Hey Gang, I have a need for some static footage of a TV news room, with people in the background, monitors, etc. The footage would be blurred and changed where no identifiable station branding is visible. I want to use it with a virtual set to add some life like visuals.

Need maybe 5 mins lengths in a DV/DV Widescreen format asap. Possibly willing to pay for the right stuff, or if you can direct some advice... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Where to Get TV News Room Footage?
on May 26, 2008 at 8:32:24 pm

Unless somebody here volunteers some, you're probably going to have to pay for stock footage clips. Only other alternative would be to model it in 3D CGI with Poser characters and/or layers in AE, but you'd have to be pretty good as an artist to make it look real even after blurring. If you mean just a TV control room, those are much easier to mock up than a news room, which is generally just an open office space.

A control/monitor room is something you can throw together in photoshop from a few stills of just one rack or monitor, cropped, repeated and grouped. Create a frosted "glass" distortion layer ahead of that monitor wall, and in between you could create silhouettes in alpha of staff people moving around by getting yourself and one or two others in front of a green screen.

A trick I used on my fake control room graphic was to fill the TV screens in a few places with static, then make an exact copy of the image but with the regions of static flipped within their frames and offset by a pixel or two. Set up a fast repeating A-B cut between the two images ( I do this on an old Pinnacle Alladin) and you get the slight flicker and roll in the Tv monitors that makes them seem live. Don't overdo this though, you only need one or two in random spots to sell it. The same A-B flicker can help animate a waveform monitor and a couple of tiny red LED lights on panels of decks here and there, again, use it like a spice, in moderation. When this is set behind an obscuring "glass partition" layer or overall gaussian blur, it is a very convincing illusion.

Unlike the local NBC affiliate here used to do. They bought a painted photographer's backdrop of a control room with a rack of tiny five inch B&W monitors as part of the monitor wall. The static images on this backdrop never changed, so you could always see the image of Boris Karloff in closeup in one of the monitors. "Look ma, Frankenstein's on Channel 20 again tonight!":-) Painted backdrops have their uses and can look very dimensional when the lighting and camera positioning and framing are all correct. This just wasn't one of those cases. And it was a poor choice to put overly recognizable images in the monitors in the first place.

Can't help as much with the open office scene, sorry. Anyway, do they even HAVE real TV newsrooms anymore? I thought it was all just a couple racks of servers now and a few cubicle monkeys? :-)
(ducks, runs)

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: Where to Get TV News Room Footage?
on May 26, 2008 at 10:20:49 pm

Try these guys:

http://www.virtualsetworks.com/Virtual-Sets-Vol-3.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]