FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Monitor help

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jane lynch
Video Monitor help
on May 21, 2008 at 6:37:48 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to posting in the forum but I've been around the Cow for the past year reading, learning, etc! My background has been mainly editing and videography but I have found myself in a new position where I have much to learn.

I'm working with a 3 camera live switcher situation. The equipment was installed about 8 years ago and I came into it about 2 months ago. My main program monitor is a Panasonic ProLine CRT 19" from 2000. It is not looking so good: tracking lines, grainy. The individual camera feeds look clear and great on their own monitors.

The way the thing is set up is that I'm recording the program straight to DVD from the Program Monitor so I noticed the DVD comes out looking bad, too. I'm just wondering, because I am new to this particular aspect of video world, does my monitor need replacing? I adjusted everything I could find to adjust with the picture. I checked cables. Is it normal for it to look this way?

What is my best option to ensure that I record a clear picture onto the final DVD?
I'd appreciate any suggestions. Sorry I am so clueless!

Thanks a million!

Jane

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Video Monitor help
on May 23, 2008 at 1:56:21 am

Jane -
no one can answer your question honestly. We have to SEE your monitor, we have to SEE your sources. You say that your individual camera feeds look great on their own monitors. Then the answer is easy. Disconnect the cable from the back of your switcher (the cable that goes into your program monitor at the output of the switcher) and plug this into one of the montiors that look "clear" on the individual cameras (you know that these monitors look good to you). If the switcher looks bad in one of these "clear" monitors, then you know it's the switcher. If the switcher output looks clear in this camera monitor, then you know it's the program monitor for the switcher that is bad.

If your response is "but the cable is too short to reach the other monitors", may I suggest that you go down to the cafeteria in your school or corporation, and get one of the crack addicts that are lounging around there, getting high, and say "hey you crack addict, get your ass down to the TV studio and lift this monitor up, so I can see if my switcher output is grainy".

I have no idea if you are monitoring the output of your switcher or your DVD player on this program monitor, so I can't advise you any further, but I strongly suggest that you monitor EACH DEVICE (the camera, the switcher, the DVD player output) on the SAME good quality monitor, so you can see what is going on. Even if it means putting up your OWN money to buy a good quality long BNC cable - if you get good results, who knows, maybe you will get a raise for your efforts.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jane lynch
Re: Video Monitor help
on May 23, 2008 at 3:46:48 pm

Thanks Bob!
I will try your suggestions and luckily there is no shortage of crack addicts where I am so I'm sure to get some good help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]