FORUMS: list search recent posts

what stage change fields?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Kali
what stage change fields?
on May 16, 2008 at 11:44:56 am

I have a question for the forum.

At what stage should I change the field order for DV Cam footage that is going to be broadcast?

Here is my workflow:

I have shot DV Cam PAL which is lower field first.

Editing in FCP 6 in DV Pal sequence lower field first.

Importing Livetype movies into FCP using Animation QuickTime Codec which is upper field first.

I am disolving between the live action DV Cam footage(lower field) and Livetype movies (upper field).

I will be exporting the finished TVC to an intermediate file -Animation QuickTime Code which is upper field first.

Encoding to QuickTime H.264 which is also upper field first for digital transfer to TV stations.

I would imagine its going to be a problem dissolving between the lower field dv cam footage and the upper field live type movie.

At what stage is it best to change the field order of the DV Cam footage and what is the best way to do this?

Is changing the FCP sequence settings to upper field first and then using the shift field filter on the DV Cam footage the way to go?

Thank you for considering my post, I really appreciate what a great resource this forum is.

Best Regards,

Sarah

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
Re: what stage change fields?
on May 16, 2008 at 12:52:41 pm

There's no simple answer, alot of what you need to do deals with your editing system. Try cross posting this in the FCP forum.

Before editing software improvements, you would have to correct it into the format you plan to export it to, in order to avoid problems. I believe FCP is strong enough to handel this on it's backend, but I work in premiere.

Tim Robinson

tim@erobinsons.com

Pride-Mobility-Products

Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Asmund Voll Tesdal
Re: what stage change fields?
on May 30, 2008 at 9:35:55 pm

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to editing, but I believe you would do right in keeping the fcp sequence upper field. Since you have material in, and will be exporting to, animation codec, I'd say it makes most sense to use that as your sequence settings. But I may well have overlooked something, so do ask the folks in the fcp forum as well :-)

If your sequence is upper from the start, fcp should automatically add shift field filters to any lower field footage added into it (and vice versa), but if you change sequence settings after editing, you'll probably have to do that yourself and/or fix any now incorrect shift field filters. (Same thing goes for mixing footage with different aspect ratios in fcp, by the way.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]