FORUMS: list search recent posts

teleprompter recomendations

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary coler
teleprompter recomendations
on May 8, 2008 at 1:36:02 pm

i need to get a teleprompter for field and studio use i am using the sony ex1 any recomendations?
thanks gary

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: teleprompter recomendations
on May 11, 2008 at 4:46:43 am

For the software, on PC I like the versions from DRS-Digitrax. Free to download and try, they are the full application; if you like it, pay them and you can unlock the nag text it inserts every couple lines. Seems to work in every flavor of windows, and any PC or laptop, even my old 486 can run it. Runs rings cost and performance-wise over the more "broadcast standard" makes I've used.

As to the prompter head, you have many choices there. Instead of recommending a particular one, I would just state my opinion is that most prompters are too small, particularly portable field models. You can't really back up more than a yard from the camera and still read easily, unless the prompter mirror is 16-inch diagonal or bigger, IMO. If all you ever do are news standups, it may not matter. For anything more dramatic or requiring more distance and flexibility, you're out of luck with the tiny screens.

If the screen is smaller than 16" on the diagonal, you must compensate for distance by making the text fonts larger, but that in turn means fewer words can fit on the screen at the same time, so you have to scroll much faster, and this can severely limit what the talent can read well. Your eyes need to see the next line coming up in peripheral vision to start decoding it, while you are reading the active line. It is subconscious, but it's one of the keys speed readers use. The rest of us use it to help decode word shapes.

That's how we read, by the shapes of letters and whole words, which is how you can make out words even when they have sutble typos in them That's why mixed-case type reads way easier than all-caps on a prompter. All-caps adds a microsecond or two for your brain to decode the unfamiliar word shape over mixed-case.

Return to posts index

gary coler
on May 15, 2008 at 11:14:55 am

mark thanks for the very good info
gary coler

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on May 15, 2008 at 2:37:06 pm

I like to use script Q...
http://www.script-q.com/
It works for PC and MAC

HINT: It has a 14 day "full" trial, but in windows if you just keep setting your windows calender back into that 14 day trial window (from the day you installed it) it will keep running in demo mode. (If you screw up, it doesn't lock it, just change the date and rerun!)

Enjoy!

Tim Robinson

tim@erobinsons.com

Pride-Mobility-Products

Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 15, 2008 at 9:43:44 pm

That's not ethical, nor good business, either, if it locks you out anyway in the middle of a gig one day. Sends the clients the wrong message about you: "Oh, pardon me, my borrowed, unpaid-for software timed-out, just give me a minute to cheat it back into operation and we're good to go again."

Yes, probably they wouldn't ever catch you. But what if they did? What if you get into a situation where you have to explain what you need to do to "beat" the piracy protection to somebody like another operator on the set? What if you need an upgrade or bug fix?

The folks that make this software in their spare time need to eke out a living too. Without a continuing flow of payments from users, they won't last to support and improve the product, which hurts all the user base.

Pay the man, if you really want to use his stuff. Bill the clients for it, like you're supposed to. That means you're not out anything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]