FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setup level for Digibeta online

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Lund
Setup level for Digibeta online
on Mar 24, 2008 at 9:06:31 pm

Do I have to worry about IRE setup levels when outputting from 8bit uncompressed QT to digibeta?
I am under the impression that since my source and output are both digital, setup should be left at 0 not boosted to 7.5?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Setup level for Digibeta online
on Mar 24, 2008 at 11:30:50 pm

setup for ANALOG workflow is 7.5 IRE, setup for DIGITAL workflow is 0 IRE. That is right - the SAME SIGNAL is DIFFERENT if you look at either the ANALOG or Digital output. What does this mean in real life ? It means that if you look at the Composite output of a Digi Beta VTR on an analog scope, the setup level will be at 7.5. If you look at the SDI output on a digital scope, the setup level of the same VTR, with the exact same signal will be at ZERO. This is dramatic when you use a multi format scope, like a Videotek VTM-200, or Leader LV5100D, that does both analog and digital, where you see the EXACT SAME SIGNAL, from the same tape, from the same VTR, with different setup levels. Which is correct - THEY ARE BOTH CORRECT. SO, you ask - if you look at this on a TV monitor that has both analog inputs, and SDI digital inputs, doesn't the picture black level change when switching from analog to digital (making the analog picture looked more "washed out" because the blacks aren't as black) - IT SURE DOES. You now say, "thats crazy - how can that be, are you sure? - who made these decisions" - REPLY - why, it was the SMPTE Committee, who needs to be hunted down and shot.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2008 at 11:57:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] "...it was the SMPTE Committee, who needs to be hunted down and shot. "

...and if these are the same guys who decided to KEEP 29.97 for HD, can we we use Chinese Water Torture on 'em before we shoot 'em? Please?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Mar 25, 2008 at 7:58:48 pm

And let's throw 23.98 into the mix as well. Just wait til your shooter brings in an HDCam tape shot at 24fps. Then the fun begins...
Tom

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 25, 2008 at 8:42:26 pm

that's right - that was my first HD job with an Adrenaline - a job shot at 24 (not 23.98).

Don't worry - 2K and 4K for "everyone" is around the corner. It will just get worse. You think you suffer now - JUST WAIT .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Anders Lund
on Mar 26, 2008 at 3:45:48 am

Thanks for the information.

Return to posts index

Anders Lund
on Mar 26, 2008 at 3:46:56 am

Thanks for the information.

Return to posts index