FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony BVW-400 question

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Pella
Sony BVW-400 question
on Mar 23, 2008 at 8:46:02 am

Hi,
I have an older Sony BVW-400 Betacam SP Camcorder. So far, I digitalize my Beta material using a UVW 1800 player to Datavideo DAC-2.
Now I wonder, if a use a consumer Mini-DV camcorder, with an analogue (Y/C) input to record directly from the Sony BVW-400, using the Mini-DV camcorder only as a recorder, how would the video quality be? The Sony has a composite (Y/C) output that I could connect directly to the input of a Mini-DV camcorder.
I know, the componetn (YUV) signal coming from my UVW 1800 produces the better video quality, but I wonder if the difference is very noticable? Has anyone done something similar?
THe Sony-BVW also has this 26 pin output connector with all important signals like component, etc. It would also be possible to make some kind of adapter, but would the difference be worth the trouble?
Thanks so much for your replies...
Tom

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Sony BVW-400 question
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:11:46 pm

Excuse me if I say this is a strange question.

If the end result is to digitize from the BVW-400 to the NLE (through the DAC2 I guess?) and you are getting good results from the UVW-1800, why would you want to add an extra step and accept lower quality? While BetaSP is analog, you are doing the right thing by using the component video into your NLE. Composite would be the worst case. Going to the mini-DV format creates a possible plethora of problems and for what return? If you are looking for converters to replace the discontinued DAC2, I'd look at AJA's HD10AVA.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Tom Pella
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:19:00 pm

You're right, at the moment I am getting the best possible result.
Problem is, that the drum in my BVW-400 isn't getting better with use. I'm already experiencing more and more dropouts, that the UVW-1800 can hardly compensate. Cleaning the head usually helps for a while, but how much longer? And replacing the drum assy will be way too expensive.
But I really like this old Sony camcorder, that's why I'm thiking of recording directly to Mini-DV.
That's the reason, why I'm considering this setup.
I just wanted to know, what the best way would be to still use the great performance of my BVW-400's camera-head...

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:38:03 pm

that's a tough one...
I'm sure you don't have money to burn but an indy producer just got back from southern Sudan and the footage he shot (outdoors) is better looking the the DV from the HVX 200 the "pro" shooter had. I'm sure if they could have used the P2 cards that wouldn't be the case, but it tells you what consumer HDV camcorders are able to do. His Canon HV20 shoots 1920x1080 on a single chip. MSRP is $999. What I'm saying, I guess, is that it may be time to start researching digital replacements for that analog camera. I know you could google and find someone to replace the drum assembly for less than Sony, but would that be money well spent or should you begin to move fully into the digital domain? The Sony EX-1 is getting good reviews as is the JVC JY-HD250, which now shoots full 1080. Best of luck in you search....

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]