FORUMS: list search recent posts

Court Room Audio

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Callan
Court Room Audio
on Mar 10, 2008 at 6:19:28 pm

I have a shoot next week for a month long trial. Does anyone know the best way to capture all of the courtroom dialogue? I'm running 2 EX1s and would like to run the audio into the camera, which means I should be able to have up to 8 mics. Any suggestions on the types of mics i should use and placement?

Thanks,

Jared B. Callan
Master Video Productions

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Court Room Audio
on Mar 10, 2008 at 9:23:06 pm

The judge and witness stand will be stationary desk mics (cardioid directional,) no biggie.

And the two-sides of lawyers, while at their respective desks, can be the same kind of mics.

But, if the lawyers stand up and walk around during their sections of questions and statements, that will be your biggest problem,

Will they (the judge, the lawyers themselves) allow wireless mics worn by the lawyers?

If its a jury trial, you'll want a floor-stand mic for the foreperson of the jury for the telling of the verdict.

Return to posts index

Jared Callan
on Mar 10, 2008 at 9:28:44 pm

Not sure just yet...but, changing batteries will be a problem during the session.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Mar 10, 2008 at 10:59:50 pm

Many wireless mics will run for many hours at a time.

Return to posts index

Jared Callan
on Mar 11, 2008 at 1:20:02 am

I'll check and see if the lawyers will allow it. If they won't, do you think that placing mics in various places will work?

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:03:33 pm

[Jared Callan] "do you think that placing mics in various places will work?"

I guess if that's your only choice, it'll have to.
But it will sound "off-mic" and hollow compared to the close-mics.

Having an experienced audio tech who can ride the levels and EQ the entire time will help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 13, 2008 at 5:31:21 pm

PZM boundary-type mics work miracles in these situations. I'd look to hard-wire them intoa couple of "zones" and then mix as appropriate. A really good shotgun can be hand-aimed by a full time guy using a pistol grip and following who talks. These methods would be least intrusive and not require wiring up people. The judge or lawyers may also have an issue with the fact RF mics can be listened to outside the walls of the courtroom remotely. Might want to ask about that up front.

Return to posts index

jared callan
on Mar 13, 2008 at 9:23:26 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I think that will be the way to go. Interference might be a problem as well because of the police radios and such. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]