FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd ntsc to digi beta pal

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holden Crawford
dvd ntsc to digi beta pal
on Mar 2, 2008 at 5:48:40 pm

i have a problem, my client wants to put his movies on digi beta pal for broadcast, but he only has the ntsc dvd master of his films. my question is, will it be a problem to transfer from these ntsc dvd masters, and also what will be the best process to do this. i never done this before, we always had tape masters. any help will be very great full

haldon crawford

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: dvd ntsc to digi beta pal
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:00:17 pm

[Holden Crawford] "...he only has the ntsc dvd master of his films."

What does this mean, exactly? Does the client have DATA DVD's of the media files, which can be copied to your editing system? Or are they DVD's suitable for playing in a DVD player?

For your sake and his, I hope it isn't the second answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

holden crawford
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:42:39 pm

thanks for getting back to me so fast. the dvd's are authored dvd's in hindi, they have subtitles and menus, i will be only taking the main feature for transfer, but I think i would have issues with the luminance and chroma. the digi beta's are for virgin on demand in the uk.

thanks
holden

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:42:04 pm

An authored DVD? Ugh. The video quality is going to absolutely horrid. You won't be able to resurrect it. I hope the client knows that going into the project. Oh well......

Assuming you have the copyright holder's permission to do so, you'll have to rip the DVD using DVD ripping software, converting it to a high-quality codec your editing system can read.

Before that comes the issue of frame rates. It will either be 23.976 (aka 23.98) -- as in a 24p DVD -- or 29.97, and you'll have to use that frame rate at ripping time. Find out the actual frame rate BEFORE ripping or you'll go nuts. I don't have a clue how to handle the subtitles.

Once ripped and into your system, you can then tweak any levels. You than have the option of using either hardware or software standards conversion to PAL to get it to 25fps and 720x576.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you can simply drop the NTSC-framerate files into a 25fps PAL timeline, or you'll have to do it over later.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]