FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betacam question

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cummings
Betacam question
on Feb 23, 2008 at 1:57:41 am

I have a little project that I'm going to shoot on BetacamSP...in widescreen.

Now, a probably silly question: Can all Betacam playback decks handle a widescreen picture? Any issues with output for digitizing or dubbing?

Thanks all-
John

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Betacam question
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:39:32 pm

[John Cummings] "Can all Betacam playback decks handle a widescreen picture? Any issues with output for digitizing or dubbing?
"

What kind of "widescreen" picture are you shooting on BetaCam?

If its a letterbox (black bars at top and bottom) then the deck won't "know" that its any different than any 4x3 image.

Same story if you're shooting "anamorphic" because the image is still just 4x3 on the tape.

So the answer is, if you can RECORD it on a standard BetaCam (or BetaCamSP or Digtial BetaCam) tape, all the same format decks can PLAY it.

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Feb 24, 2008 at 12:24:15 am

Thanks, Matte...kinda what I thought.
I try to never assume that I'm actually as smart as I think I am.

John

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:42:01 pm

[John Cummings] "Can all Betacam playback decks handle a widescreen picture? Any issues with output for digitizing or dubbing?"

When you use Beta SP decks to do 16x9, you have to cheat.

You need to make the 16x9 image anamorphic to get in on SP tape, and you have to make darned sure that the deck on the other end can play it back in the proper aspect ratio. There is no such thing as a 4x3/16x9 toggle switch on any Beta SP deck, so you need to unsqueeze the playback with hardware or software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Feb 27, 2008 at 3:08:48 am

Hey,
Like John above said, if you can record it on betasp, it can be played back on betasp. It's up to your monitors and post equipment to transcribe the signals. For example, we switch between 16x9 and 4x3 as needed using our aging DXCd35ws camera docked with a betasp deck to record on. We do edit with our Media100's set to 16x9 then output as needed, conforming to 4x3 if needed. We also do the same when we shoot hd (which is also 16x9 format), but that's another story.
lc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]