FORUMS: list search recent posts

XD video produces weird shimmering on edges

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Duff
XD video produces weird shimmering on edges
on Feb 15, 2008 at 6:23:12 am

hi guys ... we've been working with XD footage .. SD @ IMX 50 .. captured straight from the disk and working natively in FCP. There seems to be a weird 'shimmery' or 'waviness' on some edges and small details... for example, if we have a slow dolly in towards a building, the angled roof of the building sort of shimmers. Almost like the interlacing is wavering or something. But it is not interlace jitter. The footage is definetly interpreted corrected. We never see this when working from digiBeta (or betaSP) ...

any ideas what causes this? anyone seen anything similar? would the XD camera have detail settings or such?

thanks for the help!

Michael Duff -
Bearcage Productions, Australia
http://www.bearcage.com.au

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: XD video produces weird shimmering on edges
on Feb 19, 2008 at 6:24:17 pm

Do you have your FCP sequence set correctly? As I recall, there's "no fields" sequence setting that can really mess up an interlaced picture.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Michael Duff
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:50:12 pm

Hi dave, thanks for the reply ... we don't have the sequence set on "no fields" .. although we have tried all sorts of variations to the sequence settings all without any success ... the shimmering is still visible when we import the source clip directly into AE and interpret UFF.

Have you shot XD before? Maybe there are some settings on the camera that need tweaking?

Michael Duff -
Bearcage Productions, Australia
http://www.bearcage.com.au

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:52:35 pm

Jeez, I wish I had the opportunity do use XD. But here's a thought: if you haven't done so yet, try asking the question of the Final Cut Pro forum, where there are quite a few folks who've actually used it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]