FORUMS: list search recent posts

Somewhat Panaromic Video

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Groom
Somewhat Panaromic Video
on Feb 5, 2008 at 11:44:12 pm

Okay so here is the deal. We have a theater that has 5 screens. It looks like this picture
Photobucket

We have a projector going to each screen and we want to make some sort of panaromic video board. We have one created with a board and 5 cameras mounted on it, but is that really the best way to do this? We really want it to look just like if you were seeing it. SO probably only like a 120 degree field of view. Thanks for any help
Here is what our video board looks like

Photobucket

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Somewhat Panaromic Video
on Feb 6, 2008 at 12:24:18 am

I hope you realize that by doing this, you will restrict yourself to one focal length for your camera lenses, and one focal length ONLY, right?

The right edge of one screen has to match the left edge of its right-hand neighbor to make it panoramic, right? The left edge of that same screen ALSO has to match the right edge of its left-hand neighbor, right? If they don't match, you only five closely-matched shots and not a panoramic view.

Now think what happens if you zoom in or out. Then think about this, too: how do you do a zoom in or out in the first place with that five-camera rig?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Tyler Groom
on Feb 6, 2008 at 3:59:30 am

We are not going to be zooming in and out, we are going to set it at one zoom level and leave it at that always.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:35:51 pm

Well, probably you should ask this in the Live and Stage forum, where they specialize in just this kind of stuff. There are software and hardware packages custom designed to do what you are trying to do. To try and do it purely mechanically is always going to be a huge hassle, from the lens and framing issues to timing issues using multiple feed sources. If this is gong to be a semi permanent or permanent solution, do it electronically, and you might be able to get away with using fewer projectors overall to get a superior result.

I'm smiling, thinking of how a large board with six or so cameras would be monted on a dolly and moved in and out to get closeups:-)

Do post back here again when you have solved it and done it, would like to hear how you finally did it.

Return to posts index

Tyler Groom
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:46:10 pm

Okay I posted it in the live and stage events forum. I don't know if people are understanding though, I don't want a full 360 degree view. I basically want what the human eye can see. So probably 120 degree FOV, give or take. It is going to be 5 screens on the wall flat. The board that we have the cameras on now is only about 3.5-4 feet long and it looks just like the picture, we have the outside cameras angled out a little and the inner two angled out just slightly. Then we have the center camera straight. What hardware and software packages are out there to do this, Mark? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:10:32 pm

I don't remebmber all of them, there is one called Wings, and two others that are almost as popular for that crowd, each one has special areas of strength so you pick the one best suited for the job. They also come in a sort of a la carte setup where you buy modules in stages to build up larger arrays.

There are software products like Wings and there are pure hardware products that take a very high resolution signal and split it between screens or projectors or LED modules or whatever you're using. Like a DVE on steroids:-)

These are sometimes called multiplexers I guess, but may also be called something else more presentation-specific, because "multiplexer" is a word with dozens of meanings in the broadcast world.

The hardware boxes are commonly used for video walls and what you have there in your application is really just a very long video wall. I'll bet that one of the wall controlling machines will let you shape your projections so that you don't need as many cameras or projectors as you have now.

" These are pricy as they get more sophisticated, so usually they are rented, as I understand it.

Return to posts index

Tyler Groom
on Feb 6, 2008 at 9:10:16 pm

where would I find the wings software at?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 6, 2008 at 9:32:51 pm

Ask the Live/Events forum guys, I told you all I know and then some:-)

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]