FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV monitor for Combustion on PC?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant McKean
TV monitor for Combustion on PC?
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:36:28 pm

Hello All.

I am hoping to connect a cheap television to my PC so that I can monitor my field renders from Combustion.

Do I need any expensive gear to convert the signal or anything like that? I'm hoping I can just buy a cheap cable of some sort and run it out of the second output on my graphics card to the TV. Is it as simple as that or is there a little more to it?

My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS.

Many thanks for your knowledge and time.

Regards

Grant

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: TV monitor for Combustion on PC?
on Feb 5, 2008 at 11:43:23 pm

yes, you need expensive gear. If you get a DVI to composite video, or VGA to composite video converter (which will still cost you money), it will look like crap.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 9, 2008 at 6:50:33 am

The cheapest option is to use Firewire out to a DV camcorder connected to a TV via composite or S-video. This will allow you to check field issues, but don't rely on it for color correction. Most consumer and prosumer DV gear outputs 0 IRE black level instead of NTSC's 7.5 IRE, so your footage will appear darker than it really is. For a quick check for field rendering issues however, it should be adequate.

You could also pick up a used Canopus ADVC-100 on eBay for not too much. These have the added advantage of having DIP switches to set black level, so you can actually output the proper 7.5 IRE to an NTSC monitor.

Return to posts index

grant mckean
on Feb 11, 2008 at 9:28:16 am

thanks for your input, very helpful.

Grant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]