FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting DVCPro HD to 16:9 Anamorphic

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheBullet
Converting DVCPro HD to 16:9 Anamorphic
on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:58:36 pm

Hey all. I'm pretty new to the whole broadcast side of video work, and I work for a relativley new company that doesn't know much more than i do which kinda sucks. Anyways, here's my dilema.

I have video that was shot on DVCPro HD 720p24 format, and our distributor has asked us to put it to Beta SX tape in NTSC Anamorphic Master (16x9). Well, when I export it out of FinalCutPro to that format, the framerate changes to 29.97 frames. Is there anyway to convert it to the NTSC 16x9 without losing the 24fps? I know i can do it to ntsc 43, but can't figure it out to 16x9.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting DVCPro HD to 16:9 Anamorphic
on Jan 29, 2008 at 10:00:35 pm

[TheBullet] "I have video that was shot on DVCPro HD 720p24 format, and our distributor has asked us to put it to Beta SX tape in NTSC Anamorphic Master (16x9)."

In order to be recorded properly, your HD epic will look squished horizontally upon playback on Beta SX. Why? Because that's what the "Anamorphic" part means: squeezing something to fit in a smaller space... or in this case, a narrower screen aspect ratio. They'll stretch it back out on the playback end.

Furthermore, the frame rate HAS to be 29.97. Why? Because Beta SX is a 4x3 format, and it's standard definition, which in NTSC-land means it has to have a frame rate of 29.97. There ain't no such animal as 23.98 SD NTSC. You HAVE to do it. Sorry.

If you're lucky enough, your capture card is adding 3:2 pulldown at playback. What's 3:2 pulldown? That's the process of stretching 24 (approx) frames per scecond across 30 (approx) frames per second. They've been doing it ever since they started showing movies on TV.

Now: if the motion looks herky-jerky on playback of the Beta SX tape, your capture card has NOT added the pulldown, and you're going to have to figure a way to add it to get to 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]