FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV dub to Beta SP flickers

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rex Summerfield
DV dub to Beta SP flickers
on Jan 23, 2008 at 8:33:50 am

I could use some advice from you guys. I need to transfer a program on DV tape to Beta SP. I hooked my DV deck directly to a Sony UVW 1800 and dubbed it over. The problem is that the Beta copy has a bad flicker in the video that is not in the original DV version. Its most noticable in the lighter colors. Can anyone tell me why the dubbed copy is flickering? How do I fix it? This was supposed to go out yesterday so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: DV dub to Beta SP flickers
on Jan 23, 2008 at 6:12:58 pm

I dub DV to UVW 1800 every day.

I use the S-Video and there is never any flicker.

Return to posts index

Rex Summerfield
on Jan 23, 2008 at 8:02:32 pm

Just spoke with a friend at another production facility who said it was probably an improperly shielded cable. My old cable fried last week and I put on a spare one I had laying around. I'm picking up a new one today. Hopefully thats my problem.

Thanks

R Summerfield

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 23, 2008 at 9:45:07 pm

Doesn't sound like a cable problem, but I hope that fixes it.

Best of luck with it!!

Return to posts index

Rex Summerfield
on Jan 24, 2008 at 1:33:16 am

New cable, same problem. Anyone with any ideas? Thing is, I've done this before with no trouble. I tried another project and it flickered as well. Could it be something out of whack with the deck?

Thanks for any ideas.

R Summerfield

Return to posts index

steve s
on Jan 24, 2008 at 8:24:03 pm

How are you feeding the beta deck? are the decks locked (sync'd) together? is the video input switch on the Beta set to 75 ohm On or Off? has anyone monkeyed around with either deck lately? other than those things it should be a straight forward process. BTW - How did you old cable "fry"

Return to posts index

Rex Summerfield
on Jan 24, 2008 at 11:13:13 pm

Ok "fry" may have been a little strong. Basically the deck was only receiving black and white, which means one side of the S Video cable was open. I had just rerouted some electrical cables and apparently the movement finished off the wire. I put on a new cable and the feed is color again but records the video with the flicker in it. I am feeding the Beta deck via a "new" shielded Video S cable from the DV deck. The decks are not synched. Black reference from a sigma generator. This set up has worked seamlessly for over a year until the cable issue. Hit play on one and record on the other, pretty simple. I also just found out my remote control unit doesn't control the deck anymore. The repair tech told me to clean everything again but it made no difference. I'm thinking its time to ship it in.

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 25, 2008 at 3:11:15 pm

Without seeing the flicker I can only guess.

It COULD be that one of the 1800's heads is clogged (cleaning doesn't always fix it right away.)

But..

What happens when you record from a DIFFERENT SOURCE?

That could help narrow the problem a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]