FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surely there's a simple, client-proof way of securely screening edits over the internet?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Moore
Surely there's a simple, client-proof way of securely screening edits over the internet?
on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:04:14 pm

Hello fellow CC'ers...

I would really appreciate any directions your assembled wisdom could point me in. I'm going absolutely spare trying to figure a way to screen draft edits to clients over the internet.

Here's what I need:

- We need to be able to set each client up with a password and ensure the access is secure. Many of our edits are done under an NDA.

- When the client logs in, they need to have a very clear option of whether to stream the video there and then or a very easy way to download it to their hard disks (I'm not kidding, we have blue chip clients who struggle with "Right click the link and select Save Target As")

- The hosting needs to be nice and quick, especially with regards to the streaming

- Ideally, we would be able to upload Windows Media and QuickTime versions and have the system automatically stream the right one depending on whether the browser is on PC or Mac (many of our clients work on huge corporate IT systems and can't install software on their PCs so as much as we'd like them all to be using QuickTime 7, they can't)

- It needs to not be massively expensive.

THINGS I'VE TRIED

- FTP. The old standard. We run an FTP server on site, like many post production houses. It's great for transfering files when we're dealing with technically savvy folk (usually at other broadcasters) who know how to use an FTP client. But getting a busy marketing director in a big company to download, install, configure and use one is impossible. You can type FTP addresses, with usernames and passwords, into some web browsers, but in our experience this isn't very reliable.

- DropSend / YouSendIt etc etc. These are great in that they're cheap and the download rate is very good at the client end. However in our experience even when explained over and over clients will just left click the download link, causing a web browser / QuickTime / Window Media Player to download the file directly into itself, meaning that when they close the media player or browser window, the file is lost. (unless they dig through their temporary internet files - not likely).

- Wiredrive. We were given a demo of this impressive online 'super showreel' system and whilst pretty good it's very expensive and very overblown for the relatively simple task we're trying to achieve.

So over to you guys! I know I'm not the first to come across these problems, and I'd love to know - short of posting a DVD, which we usually do anyway :) - what solutions you've come up with.

Cheers!

Ed Moore
Director of Operations, Oakslade Studios |

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Surely there's a simple, client-proof way of securely screening edits over the internet?
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:33:34 pm

The product linked below was discussed in length on the Business and Marketing forum. I know some of the heavyweights on the COW are using it and love it (and by heavyweights I mean the seasoned pros--nothing to do with girth or physical size!).

http://www.mediabatch.com/

It looks like it was designed for what you're wanting. Here's the thread in the Business and Marketing forum that discussed it:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/17/858547

I haven't use it, but I'm very interested in it. If things go as we're expecting this year I'm going to propose setting it up for our clients.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Ed Moore
Re: Surely there's a simple, client-proof way of securely screening edits over the internet?
on Jan 18, 2008 at 8:01:41 pm

Thank you so much! Could have been googling for hours to find that. Looks absolutely perfect!

You have just earned yourself several drinks of your choice if you're ever near Birmingham, UK :)

Thanks,

Ed

Return to posts index

Wayne King
on Jan 31, 2008 at 1:31:50 pm

You might also try Xprove. I just started using it, so far, so good.

http://www.xprove.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]