FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speakers to use when mastering for TV

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe McArthur
Speakers to use when mastering for TV
on Jan 11, 2008 at 9:04:50 pm

any suggestions on reference speakers to use when setting eq's for final output to television. I'm using KRK's (rocket 5's) right now, and what i hear in my office sound very different than what i hear at home when the show airs. Are there speakers that are the "go to" speakers when mixing for TV?

also . . . any tips for eq settings (frequencies to cut/boost)?

Thanks in advance,
JM

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Speakers to use when mastering for TV
on Jan 12, 2008 at 1:32:46 am

Try posting this, also, over at the Audio Professionals forum on the COW.

Click here-

http://forums.creativecow.net/viewforum/30

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 12, 2008 at 7:11:01 pm

your KRK Rocket 5's are fine for your application. The TV headend that is broadcasting is compressing the crap out of your tape, and this is why is sounds different. You have no idea of the abortion that happens at cable head ends.

The following speakers are typically the most popular speakers used by editors preparing TV shows. As you can see, there is a wide range of speakers and prices, as well as quality -
Mackie 824, 624
Behringer B2031A "Truth"
KRK
M-Audio
Event
JBL
Roland (especially the old MA-12C)
Alesis Active Monitor 1
Genelec 8020 (the small ones)
Fostex

This does not mean that there are not countless other speakers that are "the right speaker" to use, or are better (or worse) than this list, but these are the most popular that you will see at post facilities.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 14, 2008 at 6:06:31 pm

Indeed, everything said so far is right on. I still belong to the school of thought that says you keep two sets of speakers around: high end audiophile reference monitors, and a pair of crummy AM radio quality tin boxes hooked to a compressor to hear what the finished product sounds like to perhaps 80 percent of your audience.

How far you bias the mix to allow for the extra down-stream compression and crummy speakers has to be a subjective call. Some will just refuse to ever compromise original quality for people who don't own decent TV's and stereos and don't recognize quality audio anyway. Others will try to strike a balance that accomodates the widest audience possible.

Neither person is wrong. They just make a choice. That choice is easier to make, the better you know what the final audience and market are and how the show will be presented "on average". If it's a DVD for a PBS audience, you'd treat it differently than an infomercial for "Head-on".

Return to posts index

Paul Perret
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:16:41 pm

Hey Joe-
Full disclosure. I make these speakers.
They are for exactly what you are talking about. I am a professional audio post mixer and developed these to sound like a TV. Lots of audio post mixers use them!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pyramids/

Cheers!
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]