FORUMS: list search recent posts

51" Challenge

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Butch101
51" Challenge
on Dec 4, 2007 at 5:47:20 am

I have been asked by a local company to figure out how to implement their desire to run four different videos in the 4 quadrants of a 61" monitor in their showroom. Each video will run in a continuous loop.

Is this possible? If so, what kinds of technologies are we looking at.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: 51" Challenge
on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:47:13 pm

Well, seems to me that it could be easy, or could be difficult... largely dependent on the length of the videos...

Obviously the easiest solution is to feed the one big monitor from one source (I suppose DVD or Blu-Ray or HD-DVD)... and the presentation is pre-produced with the show already split into the four quadrants.... rather than feeding from four sources and using some kind of quad splitter.

That's easy breezy if all four of the videos are exactly the same length.

If the four videos are of DIFFERENT lengths... that's where you could run into some trouble. Then you would have to produce one big looping video, the length of which would be the lowest common denominator of all the videos.

Say video "A" is 5:00, video "B" is 2:30, video "C" is 10:00, and video "D" is 12:30. Then, in that fairly simple fictional case, you would have a "master" looping video that is 50:00 long... video quadrant "A" would show 10 times, "B" would show 20 times, "C" would show 5 times, and "D" would show 4 times.

That would work with videos that are fairly "rounded off" times... if you have videos that are 2:13, 9:42, 12:05 and 3:27... you'd have to come up with an alternate method (probably four sources with a quad splitter) because in practicality you could never produce a master where they would all come out evenly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Butch101
Re: 61" Challenge
on Dec 9, 2007 at 9:47:16 pm

Thanks for this link. I will scour it well.

Butch

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 10, 2007 at 2:23:12 am

Butch -
you don't scour it - you CALL THE COMPANY tomorrow morning, and say "we are intersted in purchasing a product that can split a video signal into 4 large Plasma displays" - and then you spend a LOT of money on it.

When your boss or client comes back and says "gee, we weren't thinking about spending THAT much money", you respond "are you f#$%ing stupid, of COURSE it costs a lot of money to build a big video wall - you want some names of big AV contractors to do this - see what they charge you".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Butch101
on Dec 10, 2007 at 2:40:07 am

Hi Bob.

A few more facts I've picked up and a link I have found.

First:
They want 4 DvD players for 4 different and independent video streams. This way they can order up whatever they want for new material from their chosen production house.

Then:
An audio switcher to turn off sound on any or all players.

Ok. Audio is no prob and here is something I think may work.
http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/135638/1678/?gclid=CLac0Jujj5ACFRe...

Even with conversion to US 110V power, it's cheaper than lots I have seen in my searching.

Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]