FORUMS: list search recent posts

BROADCAST MONITOR

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bill Campbell
BROADCAST MONITOR
on Nov 27, 2007 at 5:02:17 pm

I am looking for an affordable broadcast monitor solution for more accurate color correction. I have an Kona LH from my Mac in FCPS2.

Here is what I am looking at:

1 - Lacie 526 LCD with colorimeter
2 - JVC 1710 CG
3 - Spyder 3 colour management system to work with my Apple 23" monitor. (they recently claimed on inside mac radio they had 'good enough' solution)
4 - Panasonic Production monitor...there is a whole range.

Does anyone have any insight to these solutions. Am I dreaming about the cheaper ones?
Like everyone, I need to find the most affordable...best solution.
All feedback welcome.
Cheers Bill

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: BROADCAST MONITOR
on Dec 9, 2007 at 9:06:57 pm

The Panasonic and the JVC are both excellent, and of course, both expensive. The Apple is not a broadcast monitor, and you will never tell real color from this monitor, even with a converter from Blackmagic, AJA or others. I don't know the Lacie montior, but it is probably just some cheapo LCD.

The cheapest way to display HD is the Dell 2407WFP - is it a broadcast monitor - of course not. Want a "sony broadcast monitor" that is cheap that will do HD with your Kona LH analog component HD output - the sony LMD-2030 is about $1299, and has normal BNC inputs. What's the quality like - crap compared to the Panasonic or JVC. Of course, for a lot more money, Sony makes nice monitors too.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on May 11, 2008 at 3:50:51 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Sony makes nice monitors too. "

Any idea how the SD looks on the BVMA14F5U or other Sony HD broadcast monitors? Does the unit physically switch between SD and HD circuitry? As you know, SD looks somewhat ragged on consumer HD equipment, even my XBR CRT.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Emiliano Rodriguez
on Sep 2, 2013 at 6:13:57 pm

Hi Bob,

first of all, sorry about my english, Ill try my best!

I found this thread and I think you can give me an advice about a particular situation. In a few days I will be starting color grading a documentary in Davinci Resolve. All the footage is prores HQ 1920x1080 25p.

I decided to post in this thread because you mentioned both the Dell 2407WFP and the sony LMD 2030 in your response.

For external monitor all we have now is a Dell U2410, connected with a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (HDMI). The Dell U2410 will be calibrated to rec.709 with a i1 display pro from X-Rite (using dispcalGUI). As Resolve wont take that ICC profile, the idea is to convert that ICC to a 3d LUT so we can use that LUT as a display LUT in resolve. Do you think thats gonna work? I know the DELL is NOT a broadcast monitor and the results will be far from accurate, I know! But, I would like to have your opinion of this setup compared to the following: Maybe we can borrow a Sony LMD 2030 to use in the project. So, in these conditions, what do you suggest: Use the DELL or try to get the Sony?

Any other advice will be aprecciated. Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:45:50 pm

Hi Emiliano,
this thread is from 2008 ! Everything is outdated. None of those products are made any longer, and none of those products are good enough for color grading.

No, you cannot color grade on a computer monitor. It will mean nothing to your client, unless he is delivering to the internet.
You need a broadcast monitor - any broadcast monitor, from any manufacturer.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Emiliano Rodriguez
on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:26:10 pm

Hi Bob,

thanks for you answer. As I said before, I know that we are far far away of color accuracy. But these two options is all we have. Its sad, but true! We have no money to spend, our budget is zero right now. Also, we are in Argentina, so the price of any broadcast monitor is, at least, twice the price in USA.

So I have to decided between the Dell U2410 and the Sony LMD2030. No more options for me. If you were in my situation, which one of these two options would you choose? I know you are not in that situation, but I imagine you can play this game!!!! Thak you again Bob!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]