FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcast monitors

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave louden
broadcast monitors
on Nov 23, 2007 at 11:11:34 am

Hi im new to all this but I am in the process of setting up a edit suite, I have a Mac Pro, 2 lcd screens Kona card with breakout box, audio mixer but im lacking a broadcast monitor.

my question is, why is there such a big difference in price? I have been recommended the old crt sony pvm 14l4 or 14m4 but these are hard to order due to my companies ordering procedure!

i was looking at the sony lmd 1420 is this a decent enough monitor to do the job?

thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: broadcast monitors
on Nov 23, 2007 at 2:17:57 pm

my question is, why is there such a big difference in price? I have been recommended the old crt sony pvm 14l4 or 14m4 but these are hard to order due to my companies ordering procedure!

REPLY -
why - because they can. The Sony PVM-14M4U was expensive, so was the PVM-20M4U. These models, and the later 14L5/1 and PVM-20L5/1 CRT's have all been discontinued. There are no more CRT monitors - ever hear of ROHS ? It's over - no more CRT monitors. You are stuck with either ebay or buying a LCD or Plasma. Your companies ordering procedure has nothing to do with getting these CRT monitors - they don't make them anymore - neither does JVC or Panasonic. It's over.

i was looking at the sony lmd 1420 is this a decent enough monitor to do the job?

REPLY - the Sony LMD-1420 (about $600) is possibly the worst monitor I have ever seen in my life. After using several of them, and having them be unsatisfactory even for a VHS dubbing rack, let me make this perfectly clear to you - if you go to Wal-Mart, and get the cheapest Emerson or Sanyo 14" old CRT monitor they have on sale, it will look DRAMATICALLY BETTER than the image on a Sony LMD-1420. It is my opinin that the engineer that developed this monitor for Sony has personally discraced the Sony name, and should be shot.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Nov 26, 2007 at 11:47:56 pm

Actually Ikegami still sells Broadcast CRTs.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 17, 2007 at 6:10:42 pm

[Devin Crane] "Actually Ikegami still sells Broadcast CRTs."

Complete with fishbowl geometric distortion...

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Dec 17, 2007 at 6:51:05 pm

It also comes with a "flux capacitor"! You must be a Sony guy, Ikegami has had flat screen CRTs for years now.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 17, 2007 at 9:57:45 pm

[Devin Crane] "You must be a Sony guy, Ikegami has had flat screen CRTs for years now."

Sorry, just going by what I've seen in the B&H catalogs. I was a Sony guy, back when they made CRTs. Now I don't know what I am...

;)

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:08:56 pm

If you're still looking to purchase, I own a LMD-2050W. We use it for HD and SD work, and in standard definition it's fairly close to our CRT's. I was impressed at NAB 2007 when Sony released the ChromaTru line of Lumas, and I'm still impressed at how close it is. Our Sony and our JVC HD CRT's still are gorgeous, but the current LUMA's are quite reliable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]