FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for resources on producing for broadcast/webcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
Looking for resources on producing for broadcast/webcast
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:07:40 am

All of my search attempts seem to be too vague so I thought I would post a new thread. I've worked in the video industry for several years but it's almost all been for non-broadcast. Everything from corporate to DVD released documentaries. A colleague and I have a client who wants to produce a reality show pilot. Actually, they are trying to secure funding for up to 3 episodes (when we figure out what that will cost).

I have a good grasp on the technical and creative aspects of creating the show except for one area: length. This is a sports related show and the cable channel VS. and some other HD cable channels are the first places our client would like to try and sell this show. What approach should we take for length if we want to be flexible enough to fit into the networks line up? Is length really important at this stage? Should we concentrate on content and then re-edit for length if the show gets picked up?

I completely understand the chances are slim that we would even be picked up, especially when this show is being produced by an unknown company in the TV world, so we're also going to concentrate on putting episodes together for the web. Do TV networks have the same kind of issues as film festivals where they don't want to broadcast something that's already been shown somewhere else? If we release shows on the internet will it be more difficult to sell them to a network later on?

The area that I have the least experience in is the business side of TV. My small involvement in broadcast work has always been below the line. Are there any good resources out there where I can study up on how the pitch process works, how to sell shows, and most importantly, how to figure out what it's worth?

This was a little more long winded than I expected so thanks for reading it!

Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]