FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Formats? Which One?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joemac
Broadcast Formats? Which One?
on Nov 2, 2007 at 4:11:38 pm

i am new to the broadcast world so any opinions or help would be great . . . can someone help me with all of the format options out there . . . maybe a list of all formats sorted by quality, or is there an article or site out there that explains newer formats. I'm sure this is a huge answer, but i'm trying to pick a format that will last a while . . . and HD is pretty pricey still . . . please touch on betaSP, digibeta, xdcam, dvcam . . . etc.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Broadcast Formats? Which One?
on Nov 2, 2007 at 7:35:11 pm

[joemac] "...i'm trying to pick a format that will last a while..."

Good Luck!

Things are changing so rapidly in terms of digital codecs and tape formats that your task approaches the impossible. And as you probably know, by Frebruary '09, all TV in the USA will be digital AND HD, with the bulk of stations converting earlier than the deadline.

About the only SD tape format I'd currently buy -- and which stands the best chance of lasting a while -- would be digibeta.

How about HD? I am not yet the proud possessor of a crystal ball.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 4, 2007 at 3:16:05 pm

I have the exact answer to your question - find out what format your client wants to work in, and BUY THAT. Need to deliver to a TV station - find out what they want, and BUY THAT.

I am doing a proposal for a customer that is delivering to IN DEMAND cable. They want Digi Beta delivery with 4 discreet channels of audio. The single VTR costs more than the entire editing system. YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT FORMAT TO USE - it's up to your client, and the station.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 5, 2007 at 8:58:59 pm

Just a pet peeve of mine: All stations will switch from analog to digital, but not all digital will be HD. Some will be decidedly SD. Some may not even be 16 by 9.

"If there's one thing I just cannot stand or put up with, it's absolutes!"

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Nov 6, 2007 at 9:29:28 pm

You're right Mark

I know that Bob is aware of the 18 included formats in the ATSC domain, but for the thread originator, the point is to pay attention to the client. We are often the client but have a wide variety of analog, digital and HD digital tape machines because of the PBS stations and local stations we interact with.

We did our transition to digital 7 years ago and decided at that point to feed 4 channels during the daytime and 2 from 7 pm to 1 am. During the evening we carry HD and one compressed SD, while daytime is various compressions of SD.

We bought DVC Pro 50 for most tape based playback (recorded from PBS satellite feeds) but have a DigiBeta for archiving our smoke NLE and playing the occasional delivery or recording the occasional output for clients. For HD we acquire on HDCam but master to D5. For our studio we have a Philips DD-35 Seraph switcher, a 2x2 DVEous and a 2 channel Pixel Power Clarity CG. The four studio cameras are Philips/Thomson/GVG LDK-6000 Mk II. We also bought a Philips Media Pool Server which has been relegated to Production now and has 2 HD channels. Master Control now has a GVG K2 server run by Louth animation. It has several HD and SD outputs.

We still have legacy BetaSP machines for outputting projects for outside clients or ingesting from impoverished post houses that don't yet have a digital format. If a client brings in a quad tape we send it to SC ETV and get it dubbed to DigiBeta and while we have one leftover 1" type C machine and one Sony D2 machine, we don't fire them up very often.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Dan Acharya
on Nov 22, 2007 at 11:18:59 pm

Format is one thing, quality of capture is another. Put an HD lens on a 2/3" chip DVCam Camcorder and light it properly - you can get fantastic results. Get a Sony 750 HDCAM camera, light it badly, over expose it and not set the menu's up properly and it's a very expensive colour correction and still looks pants.

If you're on a budget hire kit on demand. Build up a client base and then invest in kit. That's easier said than done but it's best to err on the side of caution. If you're a freelance shooter/director/editor build up a co-operative of people with different skills and kit so you can help each other out, rather than being a lone ranger.

Full raster 1920x1080 progressive cameras are more accessible now and Sony/Panasonic/JVC/Canon are coming out with some seriously good little cameras. Great for corporate in standard guise and more commercial stuff if you use lens adapters that give better glass/depth of field etc...a good video crew at the shooting stage are worth every penny and if you're working with budget HD, this can really push up the 'percieved' quality of the production.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]