FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! Doing our first show for TV

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BCP LLC
Help! Doing our first show for TV
on Oct 25, 2007 at 8:22:23 pm

*Perfect example of being in the right place at the right time!*

I am with a small & relatively young video production business (which mostly does weddings) and I have a client who would like to do a "Bloomberg" style television program.
I have about three months experience working with television but mostly from the perspective of cameraman and editor. I am wondering exactly how to go about doing this and get the best quality?
They would like to have the screen broken up into several different pieces with a video on the left, changing pictures and text on the right, and two crawling tickers at the bottom. What would be the best way to go about doing that? Should I use a template created in photoshop as an overlay? I have done tickers running at the bottom of the screen in previous projects, but I never thought they looked as good as what you see on the news. Should I use after effects for this?

We're also in the process of discussing the use of HD (which I do not have yet) and was wondering if I can edit HD on my Premier pro 1.5? Or do I need an upgrade?

Any suggestions/tips for someone doing their first television show would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!!

Hardware & Software Configuration
Pentium 4 dual core 2.8ghz
2 Gigs Ram
Matrox RTX 100
Adobe Premier Pro 1.5
Adobe After Effects 6.5
Photoshop 7

Video Equipment
Panasonic AG-DVX100A & DVC-30
Lowell lighting kit along with a mess of other lighting I have acquired
Sennheiser EW-100 G2 Wireless mics along with a mix of Octava condenser and Sure hand held mics
Steadycam 4000

Matthew Baker
Baker Creative Productions, LLC

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Help! Doing our first show for TV
on Oct 25, 2007 at 9:07:41 pm

You didn't say if this was a live show, live to tape, or all post production. In a live show such as Bloomberg, CNN, etc. they actually use a couple two channel character generators and a four channel DVEous or Sony video effects box to position the boxes with talking heads. This gives you excellent quality but is rather expensive (think 7 figures). To do this in a NLE takes a lot more time after taping the segments but is less expensive. If you're going to do this HD you will need several upgrades: Premiere to current version + upgrade hardware, and Photoshop to CS3 Extended for the cool video things it now does. You might want to chat with Lyn Norstad in the Discrete Edit*ors forum as he is a resident expert on Premiere Pro and Axio hardware.

If I were you I would seriously consider hiring an experienced producer from Baltimore or Washington (Philly would work, too) to coordinate all the elements of such a show. You are walking onto the Titanic and the end result will be disaster. Asking advice here is a good start. My advice is worth what all free advice is worth but other COWntributors will add their comments to help you.

On just adding the tickers/zippers - use a large oversized wide tif file from PS and use progressive rendering to move it across the screen on the x axis. This will keep the file sharp and reveal a portion of the message like a ticker/zipper. AE can do this but so can Premiere.

Best of luck.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

BCP LLC
on Oct 30, 2007 at 5:12:08 pm

Thank you for the sage advice! I am now in the process of contacting experienced companies in the Balt/DC region to look at getting the much needed consultation.

To fill in the gaps from my first post, it will be mostly post production with some live to tape. Basically this is a parent company whose clients have a lot of their own footage and the program will consist of the parent company introducing clips from their clients. I would give more detailed information but they are concerned about confidentiality (because they're the first of their type to do something of this manner).

Thank you also for the photoshop tip, I like that idea a lot!

Matthew Baker

Return to posts index

Matte
on Oct 30, 2007 at 9:11:22 pm

[BCP LLC] "...would give more detailed information but they are concerned about confidentiality (because they're the first of their type to do something of this manner).
"

Why is it I doubt that's even a little bit true?

Nobody has ever thought of using out-of-house-supplied tapes in a TV show.

signed,
Bob Saget-speaking from the year 1989

;-)

Return to posts index

BCP LLC
on Oct 30, 2007 at 11:58:09 pm

Perhaps I should have been more specific, the type of program they are doing will be completely unique to their industry. :)

Matthew Baker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]