FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playout of VERY High Bit Rate files to DigiBeta

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drgonzo2k2
Playout of VERY High Bit Rate files to DigiBeta
on Oct 25, 2007 at 4:23:07 pm

Hey Gang,

Sorry for the rapid succession of posts, but I thought since the topics were different they warranted different posts. I didn't want to make anything unclear.

In our archive system we are storing videos as MPEG2 @ 50 Mbit/sec. I have now been asked to take some of this archival footage and play it out to DigiBeta to send to other facilities. Here are the requirements of the software/hardware we need:

1. Must be able to playback the MPEG2 files natively without rendering, stuttering, dropping frames, etc.
2. Must be able to print the standard Black>Bars & Tone>Black>Countdown before the footage begins.
3. Must be able to print timecode from the file to the DigiBeta.

My initial thoughts was just use an NLE on a very beefy system, but it seems even the most powerful systems we have (Dual Dual-Core Xeon Machines, 2 Gigs RAM, SAS Hard Drives) choke almost instantly on these files. Can anyone out there recommend a solution that would meet all of our criteria?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Playout of VERY High Bit Rate files to DigiBeta
on Oct 25, 2007 at 5:24:40 pm

[drgonzo2k2] "In our archive system we are storing videos as MPEG2 @ 50 Mbit/sec.... it seems even the most powerful systems we have (Dual Dual-Core Xeon Machines, 2 Gigs RAM, SAS Hard Drives) choke almost instantly on these files."

Yup, they sure do! Your drives can't keep up with the sustained bitrate of such files. You can solve that problem by putting your files on a RAID, so you have MULTIPLE drives playing out the same file.

All I can do is point you in the right direction. Unfortunately, I'm no good at suggesting the proper hardware, especially for Windows boxes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

drgonzo2k2
on Oct 25, 2007 at 6:06:51 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the RAID suggestion, but actually we are already using RAID. On one system we have two external 8-bay SATA drives connected via SCSI 3, and on the other system we have 4 SATA drives RAIDed together in an SAS configuration. Both system are incapable of playing back these files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 31, 2007 at 3:40:29 pm

Okay, here's another thought:

MPEG2 contains interframe compression (long GOP structure) and muxed audio. Are your NLEs even capable of successfully playing such files in real time? If not, you may need to convert them to some other form before you can use them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Nov 9, 2007 at 5:14:37 pm

Check out Digital Rapids web site.
They might have a product that could help you. We have a Stream-Z box for compressing video to MPeg files in real time. I believe that they might also have boxes that could go the other direction as well. Might be good just to contact them and ask.
Their web address is"

http://www.digital-rapids.com/

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]