FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcast audio levels

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
strypes
broadcast audio levels
on Oct 25, 2007 at 2:46:15 pm

Hi guys, been trying to figure it out. A local tv station has audio specificaions listed for max peak levels at +8dBm, where 0 VU = +4dBm. Submission will be on Digital Beta and the transfer is digital. I'm trying to find out where to limit my max peak/calibration. What is the equivalent in dBfs (or what does it mean in relation to reference tone levels).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: broadcast audio levels
on Oct 30, 2007 at 9:31:08 pm

on your Sony VTR, -20dBfs is 0VU or +4dBu (or dBm if you reference to older Sony 600 ohm terminated gear).

In english - -20 is zero. That means that you have 20dB's before digital clipping (or digital distortion).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Nov 1, 2007 at 11:24:09 pm

Almost everyone in the broadcasting business works on a system where maximum audio level should be no higher than 10DB over reference level. Your reference level (tone) belongs at -20DBFs on the DigiBeta's meters, and your maximum permitted level on program material is 10DB over that, or -10DBFs. (PBS and its affilite stations want no more than 8DB over reference, or -12DBFs.)

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Emanuel Ach
on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:56:09 pm

so the -12 on final cut volume meter is the same as -12 DBFs?

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Mar 18, 2011 at 8:05:01 pm

[Emanuel Ach] " so the -12 on final cut volume meter is the same as -12 DBFs?"

Exactly. They can't be relied upon for critical evaluation, but I've found that the peak readings track well with my professional hardware meters.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]