FORUMS: list search recent posts

Professional monitor for multiple video resolutions

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jatin900
Professional monitor for multiple video resolutions
on Sep 24, 2007 at 7:15:23 am

Hi Everybody.... I am new to this site. Just to introduce myself i m working in broadcast industry frm past 2 years.

Just need your help in an issue...I came across a project in which i require a monitor which can show me SDI signal in pixel size in which it is actually being encoded. Idea is to view SDI signal ,lets take encoded on video resolution of 352 X 576 in same pixel size i.e. 352 X 576 on monitor. Normal monitors interpolate SDI to full size to display,irrespective of video resoultion in which it is encoded.

Please help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Professional monitor for multiple video resolutions
on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:12:40 pm

Welcome to the COW!

For what purpose do you need to see this resolution? What is the source and destination of the video? Is that the entire frame size?

If I understand correctly, your 352x576 (half-res SDI) video is being stretched horizontally to fill the screen. A software example would be using Adobe After Effects to view the frame un-altered. A hardware solution would be to use a DVE (digital video effects) machine to resize it.

An SDI monitor will only display the full raster of the signal -- in your case, 704x576. I suspect that the source of the stretching is coming from a device prior to the monitor.

More information on your workflow would really help.

tim

Return to posts index

Jatin900
on Sep 28, 2007 at 6:41:56 am

Thanks a ton Tim for your reply !!!

For more clarification, I am having SDI video downlinked from satellite . I am then encoding it using MPEG2 Encoder at 352 X 576 video resolution. Then I decode it using IRD, and give SDI out of IRD to professional monitor. Now at this stage, monitor gives me full frame video.

What i have doubt is whether SDI out of IRD would be picture of 352 X 576 pixels and then monitor expands it to full frame ?? or it is IRD which gives full frame SDI video out to monitor ? SDI protocol supports multiple video resolutions or video signal is transmitted in full frame as in PAL ??

Return to posts index

Jatin900
on Sep 28, 2007 at 6:47:32 am

Thanks a ton Tim for your reply !!!

For more clarification, I am having SDI video downlinked from satellite . I am then encoding it using MPEG2 Encoder at 352 X 576 video resolution. Then I decode it using IRD, and give SDI out of IRD to professional monitor. Now at this stage, monitor gives me full frame video.

What i have doubt is whether SDI out of IRD would be picture of 352 X 576 pixels and then monitor expands it to full frame ?? or it is IRD which gives full frame SDI video out to monitor ? SDI protocol supports multiple video resolutions or video signal is transmitted in full frame as in PAL ??

JAT

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Oct 1, 2007 at 10:50:40 pm

SDI video downlinked from satellite . I am then encoding it using MPEG2 Encoder at 352 X 576 video resolution. Then I decode it using IRD, and give SDI out of IRD to professional monitor.

Okay, I'm not quite following your signal path. Is it: 352x576 video Encoder -> SDI Out to satellite uplink -> downlink to IRD -> SDI Out to monitor?

Also, what is the purpose for the 352x576 video?

What i have doubt is whether SDI out of IRD would be picture of 352 X 576 pixels and then monitor expands it to full frame ?? or it is IRD which gives full frame SDI video out to monitor ?

The IRD SDI Output sends out full-size video at 704x576. SDI only supports broadcast-sized video frame sizes.

tim

Return to posts index

Jatin900
on Oct 3, 2007 at 12:53:33 pm

Yes Tim, it is exactly way you thought my signal path to be. I had assumption that when I m encoding video at 352 X 576 pixels and get it decoded by IRD then SDI OUT of IRD is actually picture of 352 X 576 pixels, which is then interpolated to full frame by monitor.

Purpose of viewing 352 X 576 video is just to optimise my video encoder to its best.

Can you please provide some links on study resources for better understanding of video and encoding practices. Thanks again for your response .

Have a good time.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Oct 5, 2007 at 2:49:15 am

Here are a couple of links, but there is so much information out there, feel free to Google away.

tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]