FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dell calibration and pink tinge issues...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
Dell calibration and pink tinge issues...
on Sep 19, 2007 at 3:54:02 pm

Hi all,

I just bought 2 x Dell 2007FP monitors for my GUI applications and I'm desparately trying to calibrate them *close* to my Sony BVM - I appreciate I won't get them identical, but if they are close it makes life alot easier.

So - the 'colour correction' controls on the monitors themselves seem rubbish. No contrast control and everytime I go back to Custom Colour to tweak one of them it totally changes the colours as soon as I go into Custom Colour (that's before I've even changed anything!) So I'm now scared of going back in to jott down the numbers cos it resets everytime!! Is this normal?

The other problem is I think I've got one of these dodgy "red tinted" monitors that I've heard mentioned in the past with some of the Apple Cinemas. When booting windows (the black screen with the flag) my right mon definitely has a pinky tinge and if you look at the monitors from an angle it looks pink. Now Ive just about managed to match the right one to the left, but it still won't display a decent black. The left one's black looks great, but the other is more grey and washed out. With no contrast control I'm not sure what to do about this...

Should I send it back?

Thanks for reading the ramble!

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Dell calibration and pink tinge issues...
on Sep 21, 2007 at 10:52:19 pm

I'm desparately trying to calibrate them *close* to my Sony BVM

Keep in mind that computer displays do not work in the same color space as video displays. You should be able to match the white balance and, to some degree, the gamma.

What are you using these monitors for? Are they just for the computer display? If so, then no problem. If you want to use them for video displays, do NOT rely on them for any critical monitoring (color correction/image grading). They will mislead you because of the difference in color space.

Should I send it back?

I would. If one looks good and the other decides to be pinkish, I'd exchange it.

tim

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
Re: Dell calibration and pink tinge issues...
on Sep 24, 2007 at 8:09:22 am

Thanks for reply Tim.

Yes, just using them for UI...all I want is to be able to get gamma/white bal and vague colour sat *similar* to CRT - which I can get on one of them, but the other IS knackered I think.

Someone from Dell is coming to exchange it today...

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]