FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony DVW-500 punch-in errors

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JC Boulay
Sony DVW-500 punch-in errors
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:55:40 pm

Hi,

I work in a sound studio where we use a Sony DVW-500 Digital Betacam deck to stripe our mixes to the masters, among other things. It works great except once in a while when all the lights and displays acts exactly as if striping, but the audio sent to the deck is not written down. In fact, the original audio stays on the tape. That excludes a problem in the signal chain before the Betacam, as that would result in silence. So the deck just doesn't punch the audio in, despite what all displays read.

Has anyone else ever witnessed this, and would you be aware of any cause or solution for this. It happens very very rarely and in a seemingly random way. This is not something we want to gut our DVW-500 open for, but if anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love for you to share them.

Thanks,

JC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sony DVW-500 punch-in errors
on Sep 19, 2007 at 6:13:33 pm

Heck, it could be as simple as a record tab out of place.

Return to posts index

Michael Klinger
Re: Sony DVW-500 punch-in errors
on Oct 21, 2007 at 6:40:49 am

We had a similar problem.
I'd be in the studio laying back, I'd punch in, all the bells an whistles would indicate that we were punched in, and yet I'd still hear the scratch or temp track playing back out of the deck. Come to find out (after some tail chasing), the front panel of our deck had some kind of a problem and it was switching itself to pre-read and not displaying it as such. We had the front panel $$$ replaced and that took care of that gremlin.

Perhaps not the same for you. But maybe?

Mike Klinger
Tree Falls
(323) 851-0299
mike@tfsound.com
http://www.tfsound.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]